PowerBook, America's Army, and Heat!

Discussion in 'Games' started by Mechcozmo, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Seeing as America's Army 2.3 is finally out for the Mac I downloaded it. But after opening a map in single-player mode, Temperature Monitor warned me that my GPU had hit its threshold of 75 C. Yikes!

Just sitting at a menu screen at 800x600 with the Finder quit, and the temperature is a steady 70 C. As soon as I quit AA, the temperature drops rapidly to 60 C and below.

Normally my GPU holds steady about 58 C... The CPU hits 60 C while idling in AA and about 53 C when not in AA.

PowerBook 12" Rev. C.

Pictures:

This one shows a split between AA being open and AA being quit.
    [​IMG]

This one shows the max temperature that I hit:
    [​IMG]

This one shows the long-term effect of AA. I let it sit idling while I did some other work, with just AA and Temperature Monitor open.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That's weird/worrying. I never had any trouble on my iBook with the previous version of AA. If I wasn't completely obsessed with ET at the moment I'd download it and give it a go to see if it's a problem with the app...

Just out of interest, have you restarted since installing it?

3. applekid macrumors 68020

It's quite normal for a computer to heat up for a graphics and CPU intensive task such as a game. Not surprising. And the PowerBooks' cooling system isn't exactly the greatest, so I'm not surprised. You own a PowerBook. You know how hot those things can get for doing everyday tasks or even just sitting there doing nothing.

4. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Um... unless you're overclocking, why is this a problem? The Powerbook shouldn't be overheating beyond what its heat schematic specifies...

I mean, it's cute that you check your temp monitor and everything, but it's not like you're seeing artifacts or your GPU is going to melt. :p

5. ACED macrumors member

ACED

6. Mechcozmo thread starter macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I do know that a computer can get hot during gameplay, but is that hot normal? The PowerBook's cooling system I have never had an issue with-- it has never been that hot before. It is often times fairly cool just sitting there doing nothing or for typing in Word, etc.

The PowerBook shouldn't be out of temperature levels but is that temperature that I received above the correct temperature levels?
    And I didn't really check it-- it passed the threshold for temperature I set a while back. And if the GPU starts to give me artifacts... that means it is too hot? 75 degrees Celsius is pretty damn hot y'know.

7. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Indeed, it is quite hot. But for electronics I'm not sure. My friend's 6800 Ultra has a threshold of 120 C; granted, that has its own fan and operates within a desktop, but it does illustrate the tremendous heat these are designed to endure.

Artifacts are generally seen in overclocking; I'm not sure if they are the result of too much heat or just overworking the GPU.

I wouldn't worry... 75 C isn't that surprising, it's probably near the max, but you're also pushing performance to the max. Overheating can decrease the life of your components, but keeping the laptop well ventilated should really make this a non-issue.

If you're still concerned, give Apple a ring and ask them what's hot, and what's not. :eek:

8. ericssonboi macrumors 6502

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It's a game called America's Army. I'm pretty sure it's a free simulation of Army life in the US set up as a form of advertisement but I could be wrong. It's pretty cool.

10. ericssonboi macrumors 6502

My bad.. didn't make myself clear.. What temperature monitoring program is that?

11. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Get a fan blowing on your powerbook when you play to help keep the machine cool. Or get one of those cooling pads.

12. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

The iBook can get pretty overheated too. Even if I'm just sitting on the couch typing, after awhile it can began to feel like a portable heater :rolleyes:

13. wide macrumors 6502a

If you can find a CPU temp monitor for a Windows machine, I can tell you how hot my computer (ATI Radeon Mobility 9000 64MB and 1.7 GHz Centrino (with wireless on) gets when I play CS or Medal of honor. i don;t think you'll be worried after i tell you how hot my comp gets. (except that the glue that holds the rubber feet onto the bottomside of my computer melted).

14. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

15. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

My p4 tower gets to aroun 60-67C while gaming.

16. applekid macrumors 68020

Alright, I'll try to ease your mind...

My friend freaks out if his AMD gets over 85 degrees Celsius, I believe (this is just the processor). At the moment, he has a pretty ghetto cooling system. He's using two or three regular house fans to blow onto his PC's mobo with one side of the case open. It does keep the machine under 80 degrees Celsius with long hours of gaming, so you can't complain ;) And this is an overclocked CPU, BTW.

GPUs do have a high tolerance for heat it seems. Check ATi.com's spec sheets. There should be some info about that.

The PPC chip seems to have a high tolerance for heat as well. The G5 for example can get over 100 degrees Celsius without melting from what I remember. I assume the G4 can handle heat just as well without melting.

Start worrying when your PowerBook melts or bursts into flames. I think it's fine. I still remember the case being quite hot to the touch. I just wish Apple would put in a better cooling system for the laptops. They get too warm, so I always need a flat, hard surface just to use them.

17. Mechcozmo thread starter macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I don't care if its an advertisement. Its fun to play.

Actually it is Temperature Monitor. I can see the hard drive's internal sensor temperature with it, etc. Linkety They have something called Hardware monitor which allows you to see fan speed, etc. But you need to pay for it.... Temperature Monitor is the free version. :D

18. Mechcozmo thread starter macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

It is sitting on a flat, hard surface (desk) so it should be fine. Wow... 100 C is pretty hot... I'm going to check out nVidia's specs to see what I should be good to and reset the threshold to 5 to 10 C below that. My CPU I haven't worried about, it stays fairly cool compared to everything else. Just that GPU....

19. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

I just ran Doom 3 on my PowerBook (see sig) and my video card topped out at 87 degrees Celsius. The CPU hit 69 degrees Celsius. I didn't see any artifacts, but of course I never got over 25 fps.

[​IMG]

When I ran AA on my laptop the video card reached 70 degrees Celsius.

20. Mechcozmo thread starter macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

That's good to see... we have the same PowerBook configurations so I shouldn't worry too much then. You weren't using a cooling mat, right? And how long did you play AA for?

21. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

I just have the back of the PB propped up on a book so the bottom can get some air. Other than that the computer has to do the cooling. Normally, I play AA for about 1.5 to 2 hours so the computer has to work to keep cool.

22. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, it's definitely one of the better ads I've ever seen. :D

23. Mechcozmo thread starter macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Alright, thanks.

I like it... far more interactive that the TV ones nowadays... ;)