powerbook analog audio in/out

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by joshwest, Aug 29, 2005.

1. joshwest macrumors 65816

Apr 27, 2005
    I just purchased a iBook and there is no place to put a direct audio in to record with/ but on the powerbook it says it has a analog audio in/out but where is the plug ive looked on the pic's cant seem to find it, does the headphone jack double as a mic and headphone at the same time? does the ibook have this feature as well? im wanting to do some low-fi garage band recordings of some songs and wanted to use my ibook without buying a interface, the MicPlug looks pretty tempting though, can anyone shed some light on this for me
  2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    The iBook has no audio ins. The specs say "Support for external USB audio devices such as microphones and speakers". This is a difference vs. the Powerbooks

You'll need something like the Griffin iMic or a more upscale M-Audio or Edirol interface. Search for threads here with much detail about the choices.

3. faintember macrumors 65816

Jun 6, 2005
    the ruins of the Cherokee nation
    CanadaRAM is on point with his advice, as usual.

I have heard some mixed reviews of the Micplug, but mainly the bad reviews were from people that wanted it to do much more than what it was designed for. So the micplug, the iMic, an USB mic, or a low-end audio interface, such as the M-Audio audiophile ($200) would work. Of course there are much more expensive alternatives, and they may be the best choice if you want to do recording on a regular basis.