PowerBook and AppleCare purchased differently?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by bwawn, May 10, 2004.

1. bwawn macrumors member

Hey everyone. Is it possible for me to sign up for Apple's Student Developer Connection for $99 and get a PowerBook at a steep discount, and then buy my AppleCare plan through Apple's Education store? Buying through the ADC store, AppleCare is $349. Selecting my university at the Apple Store and going through that lists AppleCare at $239.

Thanks for any help. This could save me $110!

2. Bonnie macrumors member

You should be able to. AppleCare can be purchased on computers within one year of the original purchase date, so I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to buy it through the education store. You probably just need to check with Apple and find out for sure, though.

Good luck!

3. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

AFAIK it doesn't matter where your Applecare was purchased - as long as it's still unregistered it's valid. Apple won't know where you bought it when you register it on the phone. I've bought both my policies from guys on ebay for quite a saving. My powermac one was £50 when the full retail price in the UK is £200.

4. Godfather macrumors member

I just bought a powerbook too (it still needs to come to holland) but I am not a fan of applecare, because I haven't found it of any use on my previous computers... I mean, I never bought it, nor did I need it. But a powerbook is a bit different, I never had any laptops so I don't really know if it's worth the €€€ (or $$$). Any recommendations?

5. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

Buy It. Now. Something will break... and it will be expensive.

6. Godfather macrumors member

lol :D I will if more people answer the same.

But, have you guys also bought Applecare on desktops? Coz I really think it's not needed...

7. bwawn thread starter macrumors member

I've never bought AppleCare for my Apple desktop machines, but buy it NOW for your laptop. As the above post mentions, something will break, and it will be expensive. I've had this experience with an iBook, my brother had the same experience with an iBook, and I have known many others who sorely regretted not having AppleCare when they were footed with multi-hundred dollar repair bills for minor problems that cropped up in their hardware. Remember, AppleCare lasts three years, and if ANY problem comes up, it's shipped out to Apple free of cost and is typically back within a week. Can't beat that kind of service.

In desktops, AppleCare is questionable in my opinion, but in laptops, it is MANDATORY.

By the way, thanks for the help, everyone! I didn't realize how AppleCare worked, so I might check eBay too. Thanks for the tips!

8. PowerMacMan macrumors 6502

PowerMacMan

Say I bought a PowerMac G5 now... I could wait within a year to buy AppleCare for that G5?

9. Godfather macrumors member

yes. But where can I order apple care for a product? Don't say www.apple.com... I can't find apple care seperate :confused:

10. PowerMacMan macrumors 6502

PowerMacMan

HERE

11. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

I did this exactly. Bought my Powerbook thru ADC. Waited 362 days, then ordered my AppleCare Warranty EXTENSION :D thru the Education page.

You definitely save some serious $$$ this way - and you're covered in the first year anyway! :)

12. PowerMacMan macrumors 6502

PowerMacMan

That's exactly what I'm (my dad) will do! When the rev B PM G5's come out!

13. Godfather macrumors member

lol, I timed out on apple page aka dead link. I know it's out there, I wil look a bit further. Nice idea that 362 days, 2 bad if it blows up somewhere in those 362 days :rolleyes: