Powerbook and iBook owner regrets

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by cooknwitha, Jun 17, 2005.

1. cooknwitha macrumors 6502a

cooknwitha

Okay, this isn't a should I buy an iBook or Powerbook thread. Because only I can decide that.

BUT, for the iBook owners, have you ever felt you should have bought the Powerbook? And Powerbook owners, have you ever wished you'd bought the iBook.

If so... why?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

iBook - no regrets. :D

I don't really need a PowerBook, especially now that I've got an iMac.

3. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

Powerbook, and no, i have absolutely no regrets whatsoever! :D

4. witness macrumors 6502

Everyone is different and has their own reasons for what they buy. I could never buy an iBook, it just doesn't have the features that I need, but lots of people do and are very happy.

Regret is usually a bad thing, you should always try to be happy with what you have. :)

5. inlimbo macrumors 6502

Me a powerbook owner and absolutely no regrets. Best thing I ever bought. Though the iBooks are cute.

6. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Let me just say my PowerBook has been the best computer I ever owned. It does everything I need it to do. I would be happy with an iBook as well, but I chose the 12" PB for dual monitor support and built in 4x Superdrive.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Perhaps the wisest words I've ever read on these forums. Good stuff.

8. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

ibook- no regrets about that
    30GB- regret, I SHOULDNT HAVE BEEN A CHEAP BAST*RD
    I have also noticed alot of people underestimating the ibook, yes 32mb vram is little but you cant compare it to PCs, 32mb vram on a mac can do so much more then on a PC. I do lots of stuff, maya flawlessly, grageband flwalessly, bryce 5 flawlessly, WoW(mid-low settings) flawlessly, footbal manager 05 flawlessly, the list can go on and on!

9. cooknwitha thread starter macrumors 6502a

cooknwitha

Great reply Patmian212!

I was heading more for the 12" iBook after the updates but have recently come into some more money meaning I could now afford a 12" PB Superdrive. But it comes back to the "do I need features A - Z?"

I was just curious how many people went one way and thought it would have made sense had they gone the other.

Good responses so far though. Just shows how much we all love our Macs. :)

10. smiley99 macrumors newbie

i recommend ibook

i've owned two ibooks (clamshell and 12" g4 800) and a 15" 667 tibook. clamshell was my first mac. rocked my world but just became old and slow (3 gb hdd!). 15" tibook replaced. then, before resale prices dropped out i sold the tibook and upgraded to the 12" ibook (60gb bt ae upgrades). i highly recommend both but i am more than happy with the 12" ibook as a replacement as it runs 10.3 flawlessly, ipod/pda/bt mouse/bt phone syncing are great, office 2004/warcraft iii (my favs) run very well.

if i were in the buying mood i'd wait for the 12" ibook 1.33 which i would guesstimate within the next 3 weeks. having worked at a reseller for 2 years you keep a count on how long it has been since update and how many are in the channel to purchase. all ibooks currently have 10.4 included (installed or popped into the system software packs) but the new versions (i can almost guarantee) will be 1.33, 512 mb, bt 2.0 (option), 40 gb hdd plus a USD $25-50 cheaper pricetag. So, more for less. i like powerbooks for their weight, thickness, and aluminum BUT i am mega happy with the ibook (with optional upgrades) and find the price much more agreeable (especially the included software package on the ibook).

just a thought from left field.

11. Gordy macrumors 6502a

I've got the 12in powerbook , my only regret is that I didnt get it sooner :D

12. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

No regrets on the iBook switch almost one year ago. Just with I had the money to splurge on a 15" Powerbook for the screen resolution.

13. smiley99 macrumors newbie

p.s.

also, i might add that the ibook (which i take to work with me each day) takes more of a beating than the pb (internally and externally) and i don't worry so much about those scratches to the plastic as i would to a nice shiny alum pb! truly a workhorse computer that worth every dime. only if i used logic or final cut would i ever need a souped up pb.

14. risc macrumors 68030

risc

PowerBook G4 1.67 GHz 15" and I have 0 regrets it's an amazing machine!

15. mellow2bits macrumors member

iBook, no regrets

iBook G3 600 Mhz. nice machine. I am waiting for the next rev. iBook to buyin a couple of weeks (i hope;)). Would not buy a Powerbook unless I needed the extra power/speed for specific applications - which I don't.

16. iGary Guest

iGary

My only regret with the iBook is not getting the larger HD, but I had a photo assignment the next day and had to pick it up at the store.

I'm not thrilled with the screen, but for less than a grand, I'm not complaining. ;)

17. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

I love my powerbook. I wouldn't buy an iBook as my main machine for a few reasons. One, low screen resolution on the 14", if you are buying a 12" I suppose 1024 x 768 is alright, but on a 14" machine it just seems too small, 1280 x 854 is beautiful on the 15" PB. Secondly, there is no dual monitor support.

18. Kushiro macrumors member

PowerBook G4 1.67 GHz 17", no regrets.

It's a bit overkill for my actual needs, but man, it is one sexy beast.

19. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

When I think of my iBook G4 I remember the immortal words of Anka/Sinatra/Vicious: "Regrets, I've had a few, but then again, too few to mention..." ;)

The only thing I wish I had is a bigger HD, but the 60 GB I have was the biggest BTO option I had when I bought mine in November 2003, and it's bloody expencive to change, and as long as I cannot afford to replace the iBook I don't dear to change the HD myself in fear of breaking something. But, I cannot really call it a regret, since I got the biggest HD possible when I bought it.

I also was shocked when I tested the Mac mini we bought for my father-in-law. That little 1.25 GHz with 512 MB RAM blew my 800 MHz with 640 MB RAM away. At that point I almost considered going from laptops to desktops again. Not really a regret this, either, and my next purchase will almost certainly be a laptop.

20. wdschrank macrumors member

15" PB and I love it. Only issue is poor airport reception. iBooks get much better reception on my network. That said, I wouldn't want the iBook. It's a great machine but I prefer the extra juice of the PB.

21. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

I love my iBook and would never regret the decision to buy it. It treats me wonderfully. That said, my next laptop will almost definitely be a powerbook.

22. Linkjeniero macrumors 6502

I have a powerbook (my first mac), and it's my best buy ever. I have no regrets at all, and I when it becomes too old, I'm buying a new one.

23. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

I have a PB and no regrets...at the time I needed (and still kinda do, almost time for an upgrade) a real good machine for photoshopping, light movie editting etc for college. I'm a New Media student. The iBook didn't look as proffesional either.

24. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

After months of agonizing, I got a Rev D 12" PB. I love it, the screen is just that much crisper, battery life is great and it does what I need it to. That said, the iBook would have also been just fine. I like the aluminium case, no scratches so far. The only real argument for an iBook would have been if I could have afforded an iMac as well.

Whichever one you get, you'll have no regrets.

25. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

love my PB. need the second monitor option, like the speed, like the larger screen.

only second thought: buy imac G5 + 12" PB instead of 15" PB for roughly the same money.