Powerbook, and Mac Mini together?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by imac abuser, Jan 12, 2005.

1. macrumors 6502a

imac abuser

Mar 1, 2004
    I have a question I own a new 15" powerbook but downgraded to the optical drive. Big mistake, and I was thinking can I either have apple install a superdrive. Or I was thinking can I use a mac mini connect via DVI and just kinda have two machines in one? Any ideas?

2. macrumors 65816

Oct 28, 2004
    Tamarindo, Costa Rica
  3. macrumors 68020

Mar 14, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    That sounds like you want to use the Powerbook display with the mini. That won't work. The powerbook DVI is DVI out, not in. You could use a VNC client though like this one.
  4. macrumors newbie

Oct 18, 2004
    buy and external drive

VNC is slooooooooooooooow and as we have just learnt, iDVD 5 will let you export a disk image so now you can use an external drive. Go get yourself a Firewire or USB 2.0 DVD burner if thats all you need...
  5. macrumors 6502a

Apr 24, 2004
    i already own a dvd burner on my PC... so when i bought my 15" pb 8 months ago i opted to not get the overly expensive superdrive. i then bought an enclosure for my dvd burner and since the dvd burner isn't even a main drive in any computer i simply plug and unplug as needed to whatever computer would need the burning capabilities.. much better than spending $150 or whatever it was for a superdrive... instead i spent $60 on a 8x dual format burner, and $30 on an enclosure and now i have the ability to use it on any computer i need in my house.. more useful than having a superdrive in my powerbook.. i don't usual burn things on the go though.
  6. thread starter macrumors 6502a

imac abuser

Mar 1, 2004
    A lot of great ideas here. I do have a Maxtor II 300 GB external hard drive. So I guess all I need is a external dvd burner. I guess all I'm wondering now is when I get iLife'05 will everything install even though I don't have a dvd burner, or is the requirment just to have a dvd player ?