Powerbook and slot loading drive

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by DickArmAndHarT, Nov 11, 2004.

1. DickArmAndHarT macrumors 6502

Jul 22, 2004
    I have been importing my cd collection into itunes and when i put certain cds in the drive the computer will start making weird noises. Ehhorrre eeorrrn ehh ehorrrnn-if you say it out loud to yourself your can now what it sounds like. This doesnt happen to all cd but with every cd when i put it in the fan starts up.

Anyone no why?
  2. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    Cape Cod
    Well last night I was watching a movie off a CD, and every time I skipped forward in the movie, the drive would make an chinking sound for a couple of seconds; which I'm assuming is the sound of the electric motor moving the laser to a different location on the disk.
  3. palusami macrumors regular

Nov 4, 2004
    san jose, ca
    i get the same noise from my pb too. seems to happen more with cds that i borrow from the library. don't know why it happens though.
  4. cluthz macrumors 68040

Jun 15, 2004
    The problems with library cds (and others) is that they often have a little sticker on them, this causes the noise.
    I have had to remove several stickers on cds because they made my powerbook sound like a airconditioner on speed.
  5. Gokhan macrumors 6502a

Oct 7, 2003

intresting i have the same prob with my ti pbook it usually makes more noise if the disk is quite chunky and has a sticker or if disk is a copy thats scratched so it has probs reading.

had to re-install osx once to get it to read at all

just be gentle and it should be cool , slot loading drives tend to be noisy
  6. bubbamac macrumors 6502

Dec 24, 2003
    I've had similar sounds from a poorly made CD that was out of balance. Unfortunately, one of them is my Jaguar Install CD #2. So, every time I've done an install - don't mess with anything during an OS upgrade - I get to hear that sound.

The Apple CD is actually misshaped - visibly. I've seen a couple of others, too.