powerbook + apple display = never?

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by kidtronix, Mar 24, 2002.

when will we see powerbooks with adc?

Poll closed Mar 26, 2002.
  1. never! over steves dead body!

3 vote(s)
  2. soon

3 vote(s)
  3. what??

1 vote(s)
  1. kidtronix macrumors regular

Jan 10, 2002
    Brooklyn, NY
    i was goofying around an apple exhibit in copenhagen a couple of days ago and conversated with an apple denmark employee. out of many topics our conversation included the possiblitiy to connect your powerbook to a an apple display. now it's not possible to just hook it right up, but you can, according to the apple person, buy a little box to have inbetween but in his own words, it's really expensive. so why not have the play plug out, so it fits the powerbook? well as you probably know the apple displays cable also carries the electric power to run it, which means, it will take it from the powerbook. i said so what, i mean if you got your powerbook connected to your apple display, why wouldn't you have your powerbook connected with the power adapter, i mean how often do you take your powerbook AND your screen with you, his only comment was, "well that wouldn't be an apple thing to do" (to force you to have your power adapter in to use your screen). this is his answer, i mean, c'mon! with any other screen you need it connected to power!

so the big haux is, will we ever see a powerbook with adc (apply display connector)? well the recent non-update to the powerbook at mwtokyo was because the new geforce4 mobile edition has not been finished/or because it is due in new york, which ever... but do you see it happening?
  2. crassusad44 macrumors 6502a

Nov 30, 2001
    Probably not.... sorry

Don't think we'll ever see a PowerBook with ADC. The ADC connection and the Apple Displays are designed for the Power Mac, and unless Apple suddenly want to see everybody own an Apple LCD Display, we'll never see ADC on the PowerBook, nor iBook, nor iMac...

But there is an external box (from Extendit i belive) that will convert VGA to ADC (with external power, and USB support). But it's $299 or $399 or something like that...
  3. AlphaTech macrumors 601

Oct 4, 2001
    Natick, MA
    Dr. Bott has a solution to convert a DVI signal into the ADC (provides the extra power along with the USB signal from your computer). There are also DVI to VGA adapter plugs available that would allow this to be used with any VGA equiped Mac (such as the PowerBook).

The DViator runs about $150. You can get a DVI to VGA adapter for about $30 (Belkin makes one that sells for that at www.MacMall.com, part number F2E4261). It's not a solution for everyone, but it is a solution that would come out to under $200 to use the new 23" LCD from Apple on either your PowerBook or on an older Mac system. You could even use it on a peecee if you were so inclined.
  4. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Oct 5, 2001
    San Diego, CA
    I think we'll have to see DVI before we see ADC.

The problem is that ADC is not a standard connection for LCD projectors. Most of us "Road Warriors" have to hook up our PBs to projectors for presentations. The VGA output is a standard, and you don't have to worry about having extra connectors/adapters to connect.

More and more projectors are moving to DVI, so newer PBs might start to have swap the VGA for DVI output.
    If for some reason (and I highly doubt it) the industry moves to ADC as a standard, then we may see ADC on the PB.
  5. Chris Fam macrumors newbie

Mar 24, 2002
    World's Highest Twin tower
  6. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Oct 5, 2001
    San Diego, CA
    DVI stands for Digital Video Interface. It's used on LCD monitors and projectors.
  7. Ckelly macrumors newbie

Oct 2, 2001
    Gefen Extendit VGA to ADC converter 399 here is the link
  8. msykes macrumors newbie

Mar 20, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    Agreed. Getting rid of VGA on powerbooks would be an incredible mistake on Apple's part, a much bigger mistake than creating this whole ADC connector in the first place. In the scientific community one of the main things people use laptops for is presentations using LCD projectors.

Why did Apple go back to a proprietary scheme anyways? I thought they had finally figured out that that just hurt them... put normal DVI on the Cinema displays, and let the other 95% have the option to buy them.

9. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Oct 5, 2001
    San Diego, CA
    I can see why they did it: cable issues. They are going for a simple/clean setup and use experience. One cable containing power/signal/usb is a great idea, it's just that no-one else uses it...yet.
    Aesthetically the ADC is great, it's just not practical...yet.

I think a better move would have been to make versions with DVI and ADC and let the consumers pick which one they want.
  10. bscarola macrumors newbie

Mar 25, 2002
    DVI can be analog too!

I don't think this will work actually. DVI is a connector standard that can transmit both analog and digital signals. It is not widely used in analog mode, but that is what the DVI->VGA adaptor plugs do. The DVI->ADC box is meant for converting a DVI-D (Digital) signal to ADC (Digital plus power). Converting an analog signal to digital requires a DAC (digital->analog converter) which every graphics card with a VGA port has. The only way to convert VGA to ADC is with an expensive external box that basically has some video card guts in it.
  11. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    not on my PowerBook

When I got my new TiPB in Nov, I immediately went out to get a LCD for my desk, better res, larger window, etc., and of course I wanted an Apple Display. I go to my local Apple store and find out I need a DViator in order to hook the thing up and stopped right there.

The DViator is more than just a little conversion plug you stick in the video port, its a whole bunch of extra cables, transformer and connectors. I want streamlined, not more crap to carry around if I wanted to move the LCD to another office for a presentation (I was looking at the 22" Apple Display).

So I settled for a cheap Sony 19".

I think Apple needs to do something about this, but I agree that getting rid of the video port would be a mistake.
  12. oldMac macrumors 6502a

Oct 25, 2001
    The Answer

The simplest solution would be for Apple to include the A/D converter in the display and include a VGA and DVI ports. While it would add cost to the display, I believe that this would be more than made-up for by PC users purchasing Apple displays.

Of course, your LCD quality will not be as nice if you are connecting via the VGA port.

It would also make sense for the Powerbook to include a DVI port. But, this would also increase costs (but would probably also increase display sales).