Powerbook Apple Material?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by ocellnuri, Aug 24, 2004.

1. macrumors regular

I'm thinking about tinting/dying the illuminated apple logo on the lid of my 12" Powerbook a nice shade of blue. Does anyone know exactly what material the apple is? It will help me choose the best dye.

Also, has this ever been done before? If so, can anyone provide links?

Thanks.

2. macrumors 601

stoid

I think that the Apple is some clear piece of plastic. The light that you see is the LCD panel shining through the back. The back piece of aluminum is supposed to be able to come off, though I'd imagine doing so will summarily void any and all warranty.

3. macrumors 6502a

comictimes

If you find something that works really well, tell us/ post pictures. I for one would love to see how it turns out, and may consider doing it myself . :cool:

4. macrumors regular

5. thread starter macrumors regular

BINGO!

There's mention of a guide for doing this to 12" Powerbooks that inspired the above modification, does anyone have the link handy?

Thanks!

6. macrumors 6502a

comictimes

hmm... so you have to take your screen apart and get at the back of the apple logo? on second thought white really is an appealing color...

7. thread starter macrumors regular

Well I think I'm still considering applying a dye to the outside of the logo. Taking it apart has the advantage of being un-do-able, but I may have to wait until my 3 years of AppleCare is up before I obliterate my warranty.