Powerbook Applecare repair question

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by hkriffraff, Mar 28, 2005.

1. hkriffraff macrumors regular

Some time ago I accidentally hit my powerbook against the edge of a table, creating a minor dent on the corner of the casing behind the power jack.

It seemed to be only a cosmetic problem, I had no problems at all for almost a year. But recently I noticed that when connecting the AC adaptor, sometimes I had to fiddle around with the plug before it will light up or sometimes the lighting changes from green to orange with slight contact to the plug or the wire. But it has only been a minor inconvenience... I'm not sure that this has been due to the dent incident since it was fine for so long. The dent doesn't seem to have affected the jack itself and I have had similar plug/jack problems with other Apple products.

Anyway, my PB is under Applecare and I brought it in last week for another issue and also mentioned this problem. I just got a call from a technician, recommending that I replace the bottom casing of the laptop for $160. I asked if it was really necessary, or just cosmetic - and he replied saying something I couldn't make sense of about the current, a rubber band how it was safer for the logic board.

So can anyone who understands this better explain if it is really necessary to replace the casing?

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Well, the case being metal, it could cause problems if the logic board gets to close to it due to the dent. Meaning electricity could run thoughout your PB, frying everything possibly. Unlikely, but still possible if electricty jumps the gap.

He might also be asking to do this because Apple usually wont repair something if it shows damage due to use. So if you put a dent near the plug like you did, Apple usually refuses to repair anything that happens to componates around that area, such as you power cord problem, stating it could have happen when you dented it. So he might just be trying help you get the plug repaired for only 160 bucks by replacing the case. Otherwise, the logic board would need to be replaced, costing 600+ to you since Apple finds it not something they will repair for free.

Or he could be trying to get some money out of you. It can be taken different ways. Is this an Apple Technician at an Apple store or a third party tech.

3. hkriffraff thread starter macrumors regular

I believe this is a third party service centre. He may be taking me for a ride...but I guess I'll go along with it.