PowerBook & AppleCinema Display Questions???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ckeck, Aug 2, 2005.

1. ckeck macrumors 6502a

ckeck

Just last week I purchased an iBook to mess around with for a few days (first Apple since 25MHz)...

I really enjoyed using it and I did take it back, but only because I am planning to order a fully loaded 15" PowerBook...just a few questions though...

Does the PowerBook have built-in bluetooth technology? I know the iBook does, so I would assume the same for the PB, but I didn't see anything about it on the website. I am going to be very dissappointed if it does not...

Also, while at the store the 23" & 30" Apple Cinema displays really caught my eye...they looked great. I have been waiting to upgrade to an LCD for sometime now from my 21" Sony CRT. I game a lot and was never too fond of LCD's...but they have since gotten much better. Looking into the 23" as the 30" is just a little more than I want to spend on a monitor :eek:

Question: How is the gaming performance on the 23" Apple Cinema display (refresh rate, etc) and can I hook it up to my main desktop (Windows XP)?

If the gaming performance is solid and it will work with my Windows computer I am going to get one...one other question though. What is a GOOD video switchbox to switch between the PB and my Windows PC if I want them both connected at the same time? Or so I don't have to mess with cables all the time...

Thanks!

2. Reclaimer macrumors newbie

3. wako macrumors 65816

I personally have the Dell 2005FPW one. You probably heard it already but its the same exact screen as the 20'' ACD one just in a different enclosure.

I personally JUST switched (past Sunday) and Im a pretty hardcore gamer.

As a fellow Gamer and a now new Apple owner I would HIGHLY recommend to you to get the 2405FPW screen by Dell NOT by Apple. The problem with the ACD displays is that its VERY limited in its display function, atleast it seems to my naked eye. The wires that comes out of it for connection is only for DVI, USB and Firewire for the hub connection. I do not believe you can change it to VGA or even tack on another input to the display. In the Dell you can make it possible to hook up FOUR inputs and choose which you want to look at.

My current setup actually takes advantage of this. I personally have my PC and PowerBook hooked up onto my 2005FPW and I can switch between which system I want to look at. The Dell has way more features then that of the ACDs. For example on the Dell you can also do PIP, you have a composite jack so if you want to hook your PS2 on it you can, you have a S-Video out (which beats the hell out of me how to use), and of course, VGA, and DVI.

Best of all about the Dell monitors is that its DIRT cheap compared to the ACDs. For example, I bought my 20'' one for 360 dollars! If I had went for the Mac one it would have costed me TWICE as much! For the 24'' Dell one though price usually hovers around the 750 mark. Just look for coupons online and you can get the monitors much cheaper.

As for gaming performances on either of the two, since they are all the same screens and have the same refresh rate (the 24 and the 20 has the same) it works fine. If you play FPS games its still fine. I personally play Counter Strike and BF2 most of my time and notice VERY LITTLE ghosting. ONLY when I turn really fast and that was when I was just testing it and cranked my sensitivity to 10.

4. ckeck thread starter macrumors 6502a

ckeck

Thanks for the information!

I will definately look into the Dell flat panels...just one other question though...

What is a good monitor switch box so I don't have to worry about changing cables all the time?

5. tsk macrumors 6502a

tsk

Not a gamer myself, but I hear the 24" panel sucks for gaming. It's response time is too slow.

As far as switching between a PC and a Mac on the display, I'd strongly consider a Dell for that. I think you're probably better off plugging into the multiple ports a Dell LCD has rather than using a monitor switch.

6. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I'd go for either the Apple 20" or the Dell 24"

If you can qualify for the Dell Education or Small Business rates, you should be able to get the Dell for somewhere between $899 and $999 or less depending on eligibility.

7. wako macrumors 65816

... See! Thats why its so good to go with the Dell monitors. It has input for VGA and DVI. Your PC can plug into the VGA your Mac plugged into the DVI.

When you want to use your PC just press a button so the signal displayed is from VGA, when you want to use your Mac, press the button so it the signal is displayed from the DVI.

The Apple ACD does not have that feature, but they still use the same screen. Thats why Im telling you you should go for a Dell screen

8. ckeck thread starter macrumors 6502a

ckeck

Thats a good point! But what happens to my signal quality when I am only hooked up through the VGA connection on my PC?

9. punkbass25 macrumors member

lets clear a few things up, the extra inputs ont eh dell are a blessing and a curse. the operating temp is higher, the screen is thicker and it is not sealed so dust and contaminants will get in over time. this is all because of htose analog ports. but in your situation the usefullness of extra ports outweighs the advantage of a more protected (and potantialy longer lasting) screen.

second the 20 inch IS NOT THE SAME MONITOR IN A DIFFERENT ENCLOSURE. and the 24inch IS ABSOLUTELY NOT THE SAME because apple doesnt make a 24 inch monitor. they make a 23. now the 24" dell and the 23" ACD do have the same resolution. this is true. but they are not hte same (one thing people havent been mentioning is that the 2405FPW has 8in1 card reader built in.)

the 20 inch ACD and 2005FPW use the same active matrix Screen, but the similarities end there. the backlight and everything else are totally diffrent.

the dell's have been reported to on occasion have a "fading" around the edges where the backlight makes blacks look greyish and the whites look grayish... now unless your gonna be using your display for serious graphic design or proof work, this shouldnt really matter.

as for refresh rate. its an LCD refresh rate.. is kinda a moot point. however i have not heard anyone report any problems with "ghosting": using any of htese four screens. you sould be good with the gaming.

if your looking into the 2005FPW and paying any more then $450 dollars your wasting money. and if your paying more then $875 for the 2405FPW your an idiot, as NOBODY pays actual ($1100-1200) price for it. and i've seen people get it for $789 with free shipping before.

check fatwallet.com and techbargains.com for more information

10. wako macrumors 65816

Well I been using VGA on my PC for a long time. Never really noticed much of a difference when I switched it around. One SMALL difference I do notice is that DVI connection seems to be able to pick up the signal much quicker than the VGA on boot up.

But again i don't see much of a difference

11. ckeck thread starter macrumors 6502a

ckeck

Thanks for the info everyone, I went ahead and purchased the 24" screen from Dell today...

I actually did the deal someone posted here earlier that ended today (thanks to whoever that was)

I got a Dell Dimension 9100 (nicely equipped) and the 2405FPW came with it for free, not bad at all :D

So now I have an extra file server/game server and my 24" LCD...CAN'T WAIT TO GET IT!!

12. wako macrumors 65816

LOL... I was going to hop onto that deal, however i chose to dual screen with two 20'' instead :D