PowerBook Appraisal...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by tjwett, Sep 8, 2002.

1. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

I am selling a TiBook 550 w/384 RAM. I'm asking $1300. DO you think that is a fair price? If not, what is?

2. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Yea

Does it have a combo drive? What size hardrive? Any scratches?

3. King Cobra macrumors 603

I am assuming your PowerBook came with a 20GB Hard Drive, and DVD drive, and is in above avg. condition, unless you tell me otherwise.

Taking into consideration under one year's worth of use, $1300 is cheap. I wouldn't sell it for any less than $1599. If you have a CD-RW, bring the price up by about $100 (from $1599). If you have a combo, add about $200 (from $1599). If you have a 30GB Hard Drive, add about $50 extra.

4. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

5. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I just recently sold a Rev. A 500 TiBook w/30GB hard drive, 384MB RAM, DVD, no Airport, and AppleCare...$1600...

u should be able to get at least that...

6. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Hmmm...I wonder what my Rev A 400 w/ 640MB RAM, 40GB HD, DVD and Airport would get?

7. tjwett thread starter macrumors 68000

tjwett

hmmm...

wow! maybe i under-priced it a bit. well it has a 20 gig HD, DVD(no combo), no Airport and some paint wear on the right side edge near the palm rest, which i've seen alot of with the TiBooks and i think is considered "normal" for these machines. no dead pixels and functionally it is 100% and is even still within the 1 year warranty. thanks for the replys. maybe i should just throw it on ebay then.

8. tjwett thread starter macrumors 68000

tjwett

where did you sell? and did you sell to buy a new PowerBook? i'm trying to get my hands on another dual Quicksilver. know any retailers with old stock? i think they got cleaned out pretty quicly.

9. King Cobra macrumors 603

>(eyelikeart) I just recently sold a Rev. A 500 TiBook w/30GB hard drive, 384MB RAM, DVD, no Airport, and AppleCare...$1600...

Well, the AppleCare can certainly mean be beneficial for the extra cash, especially so that the tech people at Apple can treat you like a customer. :D

tjwett, IF you plan to sell it on eBay, make sure you describe EVERY detail to assure people you are not fooling them with the dirt cheap s**t scattered throughout the site. For instance: How bad is the paint wear? Does it look obvious? Are there any obvious scratches? If not, are there any at all and are they mostly small indentations? How long have you had it? Has anything else become apparent over the months of use? [You don't have to answer this one: How often do you clean it? But at least mention it has recently been cleaned properly, and do so.]

Also, IF you have a .Mac account, upload high-quality photos of the PowerBook to it and link them when you post your PowerBook on eBay. DO NOT post any fakes. Even if the files are multiple megabytes each that's fine, as long as you get the detail. If you don't have a .Mac account, upload reasonably sized photos directly to eBay.

Start your bidding at $1599. Happy bidding. :cool:

ed: Oh, and tjwett, make sure you display this in a cheerful manner, and insist that if you [meaning viewers/possible buyers] have any questions about the PowerBook to email you.

10. tjwett thread starter macrumors 68000

tjwett

yeah, i'm a pretty good "ebayer". i always give thorough descriptions and pics etc. no scams from me. i have great feedback too. i was hesitating putting it on ebay only because i have a bunch of stuff that i'm selling and wasn't sure if i would do better selling each piece separately or as a big package. here is what i am selling, and this is not a sales pitch to you guys;):

TiBook 550 w/384 RAM, DVD, all original box, manuals, etc
    ZERO Halliburton Z5 Alluminum case, Silver, very kewl
    QueFire Burnproof FireWire CDRW 16x10x40, case, cables
    Contour MiniPro 2 button optical mouse, matches the Ti, case
    Epson 880 Cube model, matches the Graphite series PMs, new
    Wacom Graphire 2 Tablet, Pen, 2 btn, scrollwheel wireless mouse
    Dreamweaver UltrDev4, Edu, open, complete
    Illustrator 10, edu, open, complete
    Flash 5, edu, open, complete, plus free "How To..." Flash book
    Microsoft Office XP Pro 2002 for Windows, edu, open, complete
    Photoshop 6 "Classroom in a Book"

Plus i would install(for demo purposes of course) After Effects 5.5, Photoshop7, Flash MX, and a bunch of other stuff. So, do you think this would sell better as a package or separately? the hardware and case all match and look awesome together. maybe do those and sell the rest on their own? what do you think?

11. King Cobra macrumors 603

First of all, I don't think software already on the PowerBook will be worth any value (it's been discussed elsewhere).

Assuming you are going to add the extra hardware ALSO:

>ZERO Halliburton Z5 Alluminum case, Silver, very kewl

Add $150.

>QueFire Burnproof FireWire CDRW 16x10x40, case, cables

Add $150.

>Contour MiniPro 2 button optical mouse, matches the Ti, case

Add $50.

>Epson 880 Cube model, matches the Graphite series PMs, new

Add $150.

>Wacom Graphire 2 Tablet, Pen, 2 btn, scrollwheel wireless mouse

I think pricing depends on the size of the tablet. Check the Wacom website for your current size, and take off about 25% the price. Add that to your total.

12. tjwett thread starter macrumors 68000

tjwett

so maybe combine those items and sell the software on it's own? i was thinking of excluding the printer and tabletsince it doesn't match;) i know how important the pics can be on ebay.

13. vniow macrumors G4

If you're gonna sell it for $1300, I might be interested.:D
    (j/king of course)

14. tjwett thread starter macrumors 68000

tjwett

hey, it's not gone yet;)

15. King Cobra macrumors 603

V, I just gotta appreciate your sig: :D

Any posts you see between now and 500 will be used soley to shamelessly increase my post count until I get an avatar.

I agree with you on the "not everything is necessary" issue. IF you need to sell ANY of those things to make someone else happy, sell the CD-RW and the Epson printer. As for the mouse, I'm not too sure if people usually use mice with portables. If people usually do, then sell it. If not, don't. I'll start a poll.

16. vniow macrumors G4

It's cool. A Powerbook's not exactly what I'm looking for right now, but if I did find one for $1300, I'd whip out the credit card in a sec. If you sell it for that, you'll definately get a quick buyer, but $1500-$1600 is about norm for your model. :)

17. Choppaface macrumors 65816

you can get a brand new 40x burner for like $200 or so.... $150 for a 16x seems a bit too much

18. King Cobra macrumors 603

19. tjwett thread starter macrumors 68000

tjwett

I've decided to sell the TiBook, mini mouse, case and CDRW as a group. All the other stuff should do fine on it's own. Thanks for all the help. Contacting Apple right now to see about them replacing the casing under warranty. Paint coming off should not be considered "normal wear and tear" on a pricy machine like the Ti.
    Salud.

20. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I sold it to a buddy of mine who's using it for music production...and yes I got a newer one...thanks to B2TM ;)

funny u ask..it was old stock too at CompUSA in Tuscaloosa, AL...bought it for what I sold my Rev. A for...

21. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i would think you'd be better of selling the items separately... at least as far as total price goes... i mean, item x might mean more to someone who just wants that item than someone who wants a powerbook and likes what other things come with it, but is not overly concerned with said item x...

then again, it's a lot easier to sell it all together (less shipments and stuff)...

you could also say

"powerbook blah blah blah for sale.... for x price... if you want to get an additional cdrw drive, add 100 to the cost"... that type of thing

that way you work it out and sell what the main buyer doens't want afterwards. well, that's what i did...