Powerbook as xbox wireless bridge?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by anotherjeff, Mar 25, 2005.

1. anotherjeff macrumors regular

anotherjeff

Can I connect my xbox to my pb via an ethernet cable and then connect the xbox online via my wireless network? I'm using an airport extreme to provide the wifi.

I've tried turning the internet sharing on in my pb but I can't seem to get it to work and it seems to prevent my pb from connecting to the net when sharing is turned on.

Any ideas?

2. ghostee macrumors 6502

I don't own an xBox but I would wager that you could indeed do this. Verify that the PB is getting a wireless signal and has access to the internet in the location it is siting at near your xBox. Ensure you are allowing internet sharing to the ethernet port on the PB. Ensure the xBox is set for getting it's IP address automatically (DHCP). After that, you should be all set. I've done the same thing except to an old PC rather than an xBox and it worked flawlessly.

Edit: Make sure your sharing is setup to go from Airport to computers via Built-in ethernet.

3. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

in theory, it should work fine. the powerbook can act as a router to and/or from any in or out point on the computer. you can share Dial-up through Bluetooth... or share Airport Wireless through Ethernet, or share Ethernet through Airport.... so many possibilites, and its easy to do!

my friend does it sometimes between his powerbook and G4 Tower, and it works flawlessly.

just go into Sharing -> Internet, then make sure its set to FROM: Airport - TO: Ethernet (with love :p ), and it should work.

4. anotherjeff thread starter macrumors regular

anotherjeff

I tried doing this last night but without any luck. I'll try again.

I was getting good wifi signal to the pb, xbox was set to automatic, I tried both a patch and crossover cable (does it matter?), no luck.