Powerbook Backlit Keyboard?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by phiberoptik957, Jun 21, 2004.

1. phiberoptik957 macrumors newbie

How can I determine if I have a backlit keyboard on my 15in powerbook? Is there a program that can turn the backlight on/off? Any help will be appricitated.

2. ToastCabbit macrumors member

I don't know this for sure, not being an AL 15" pb owner, but have you checked under System Profiler? It's possible it might make a mention of it there. If not, I would imagine there would be something under the Keyboard section of System Preferences.

And if all else fails...stick it in a room with no lights on. If it glows, you've got backlighting. :p

3. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

You could try turning the lights off. The ambient light sensor is located near the speakers on both sides, if you cup your hand over the speakers (and its dark enough to detect it) they should light up.

There is a brightness button on the powerbook for the keyboard, I think its keys F9 and F10, but not sure....

4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I believe the non-backlit keyboard doesn't have the buttons to control it. those would be F8 (on/off) F9 (dimmer) and F10 (brighter).

5. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

My 15 in AlBook does have the backlit keyboard. Yes, F9 and F10 are used to adjust the brightness. Yes, under System Preferences, keyboard and mouse, is the Illuminate keyboard option if you have it. System Profiler doesn't include any mention of built in keyboard. :)

6. phiberoptik957 thread starter macrumors newbie

I would like to think everyone for their input. I have come to the conclusion that I do not have the backlit keyboard. Now, can I buy a backlit keyboard? and How much are they?

7. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Nope... If you didn't get it with the powerbook, you can't "upgrade" to it. Easiest way from point A to point B: Sell your powerbook, buy one with the backlit keyboard.

Lee Tom

8. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

But don't worry, its more of a luxury than a necessity. I think most of us who have it only use it to brag! :)

I love mine so much! ;)

9. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

dont' worry, its pointless..i mean i ordered it as an option but it was really unnecessary.

10. mainstreetmark macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

I almost agree...

most of the time, when i'm in a dark room or something, the light in the keyboard lights up with just enough intensity to match the screen light reflecting off the silver keys, so the end result is that with the backlight on, the keyboard is much *harder* to read. If the keys had been black, then it'd be just fine, but they're not.

11. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i love the backlight feature, but if i do have a light source id rather use than then the backlight

12. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

search the forums, there is a few threads with links on how to hack out a PB backlight

13. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

Are you THE PhiberOptik?