Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

revisionA

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 27, 2005
If you have reduced battery life and tend to print to PDF... you might be using a helluva lot of cpu cycles for a hanging pdf related process.

I had my october05 15.2 PB drop to 1:40 under best conditions and was freaking out. It was only after I started to hear harddrive revving that I fuddled with the system enough to locate the issue.

Open the Activity Monitor and I saw that two AdobePDF(ish named) processes were idle yet using 90 percent of my CPU. Force quitting them DOUBLED my battery life and halted the scary hard drive noises (belching, barking 7200rpm drive...)

If you have either strange noises or reduced battery life, open your Activity Monitor (under utilities in Applications... I recommend adding it to the dock). Hanging processes can kill your battery life, especially ones that page to the harddrive unnecessarily. Every app I have runs better now, and I get almost 3 hours of battery life hanging out at the Cafe.

Put under hardware because you fear a hardware problem... but its Softwares fault. Not sure if this is just an Acrobat 7 issue or what... but it happened and now it doesnt. Still forcequit after pdfing... safe issues continue otherwise.

#$#

realityisterror

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2003
Snellville, GA
That's weird.
The issue is understandable, but from your post it sounds like you were consistently getting bad battery life for quite a period of time...

Was this just one day during which you got bad battery life? or was it going
on for a few days during which you never restarted or something?

I'm constantly fiddling through Activity Monitor. Especially since I finally tripled my RAM yesterday. 0 Pageouts! :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.