PowerBook Battery Issues

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by titaniumducky, Sep 14, 2004.

1. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

This is the second time since Friday I've had this problem - my PowerBook refuses to see its battery. To fix this I have to remove the battery and then put it back in. The battery will then read at 0% and charge for a while. However, it doesn't report the charge changing. The first time, it eventually was just at 100% all of a sudden. This time, it's still supposedly at 0%. That probably has something to do with the fact that it was never unplugged last time and has been running on battery for some time this time. I was running the PowerBook on battery when I noticed that it reported no battery this time, so the battery isn't actually dead. Last time it happened after playing Call of Duty. This time, I unplugged my Bluetooth Adapter, iPod, and power cable then took it to another room. It had woken up, but the lid was closed, so it went back to sleep. When I woke it up, I noticed that it was reporting no battery. The time remaining to charge will always remain "Calculating."

I hadn't installed anything except Call of Duty before the problem started (I installed the Security Update afterwards). Does anyone have any ideas what could be going on? My PowerBook is outside AppleCare time (about 1.25 years since I got it).

2. drm1 macrumors newbie

Powerbook Battery Issues

I have 6 month old Powerbook G4 with a kind of similar problem? It was working perfectly until one day it did not boot up and only a power management unit reset solved that problem. The problem began to snowball from there, the battery recognition would cycle on and off at random intervals. The battery will charge, nevertheless, and will remain fully charged even though the AC powercord indicator does not indicate charging when the computer is not recognizing the battery. Resetting the PMU does not solve the problem. The battery was not the problem either. The computer would not start from another battery nor would it start from Firewire, but it starts from AC no problem. If this is the same for your computer, the problem is then in the logic-board. I had to send my computer back to Apple (twice: as the first time, some smart tech simply replaced the battery, didn't see any symptoms, and then shipped it back. The battery non-recognition symptom returned after the next start-up).
    If you are sure it is not the battery (your battery is charged and will work in another computer), then you will have to send the computer in for repair- I will let you know if the APple repair worked out, although they did tell me that if they can't fix it this time they will just send another one.... :(

3. drm1 macrumors newbie

powerbook battery issues

So I just got my powerbook back from apple, where they replaced the (internal) battery connector. Apparently it can sometimes come loose. So far, so good.