POWERBOOK BATTERY LIFE

Discussion in 'Community' started by SIMON DOLAN, Apr 14, 2005.

1. SIMON DOLAN macrumors newbie

HEY I'M A NEW MAC USER AND GOD I LOVE OS X!!
    I BOUGHT A 800MHZ USED POWERBOOK.
    I WONDER IF MY BATTERY IS IN GOOD SHAPE. IT'S STAY CHARGED FOR 40 MIN WHILE PLAYING MUSIC IN ITUNES. IS IT NORMAL BATTERY LIFE?

ANYONE CAN HELP ME ? SHOULD I BUY A NEW BATTERY OR I'TS NORMAL?

THANK

SIMON
    MONTREAL, QUEBEC, CANADA

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

FIRST, STOP YELLING!

There, that's better. Yes, that's probably normal for an older battery. New ones are available for about $125. My PB (2 years, 5 months old) is only getting about an hour of life on it's original battery. I'm about ready to break down and buy a new one myself.

3. kg9ov macrumors member

For starters, you could turn the caps lock off. One less LED the battery has to run. :D

As far as the real question goes... No, 40 minutes is probably not normal.

-Tony

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Check this out for something you can do in case your battery has not been well conditioned recently:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86284

Depending on how it was used before it got to you, it might possibly need to receive this treatment more than once.

Also, *after* you do that, if you want, open a terminal window, make it wide, and run this:

ioreg -l | grep -i IOBatteryInfo

You will get an output that looks something like this:

"IOBatteryInfo" = ({"Capacity"=3623,"Amperage"=0,
    "Cycle Count"=98,"Current"=3603,"Voltage"=12519,
    "Flags"=838860805,"AbsoluteMaxCapacity"=4400}

The Capacity number divided by the AbsoluteMaxCapacity is basically how worn out your battery is (in my case, my one year old battery, which has been cycled 98 times, has about 3600/4400 = 82% of its original capacity left). If that fraction is something much less than 50%, after you've done the conditioning, you want a new battery.

5. andrewfee macrumors 6502

I don't know about older Powerbooks, but I'm getting about 3 hours usage with AirPort enabled on my 17" Rev.D machine. While I don't know what you should be getting, half an hour is definitely too short; I would strongly recommend a new battery.

6. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

{"Capacity"=2007,"Amperage"=0,"Cycle Count"=235,
    "Current"=0,"Voltage"=0,
    "Flags"=838860929,"AbsoluteMaxCapacity"=4800}

This was given out at 100% charged!
    4 yr old Pismo (bigger battery originally!), dont get much more than an hour and a half out these days, and that is with screen set to minimum brightness (no-one seems to know that this is maybe the biggest energy-saving tip!), and nothing plugged in, and not using the DVD drive. Back in the day I used to get 5 hours!
    Snif Snif, but don't use it "on the road" enough to warrant a new battery (not cheap!)

7. jasylonian macrumors regular

what should i do with an old battery? is there really any point in keeping it? also, mine doesn't give me the sleep warning before shutting down and only lasts about an hour. i'm on a 1GHz 12" tibook and i've had it for about a year and a half.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I thought there wasn't such a thing as a 12" Tibook... :confused:

I don't know if TiBooks can hot-swap batteries like AlBooks (and the 12" Al cannot, so I'd guess prolly no), but you still might consider keeping it, as something you can use on trips as your 2nd battery, and getting a new one.

9. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I'm glad I ran across this thread; it's something I'd wondered about too, but hadn't gotten around to researching yet. My TiBook is pushing about two years now and its battery life is noticeably worse than it was when it was a youngster. Thanks for the info (to you and others who posted later)!

10. jasylonian macrumors regular

sorry, goofed on that... my brain is currently running on fumes and i already have two batteries. it's just getting to the point where the original battery is becoming essentially useless and i really don't want a bunch of these things lying around. read: student who already has enough clutter.

11. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

mkrishnan , this is pretty cool. I didn't know I can check the life of my battery via termina.