Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 17, 2005
I have had my Pbook for a few weeks now, (15" 1.67G4, 80 gig, 1 gig ram, 128 video) and I have never had a problem with the battery life, in fact, i'm pretty impressed.

But I am usually using it on battery for just typing in Word. I have never done anything that uses graphics or video. I am getting ready to take a long bus ride, and wondering how well the battery holds up to watching movies. I figure it should last a while if I turn off the airport and such.

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2003
as i understand it, in descending order of power consumption:

screen
processor + video card (slows for lower power consumption when not being used much)
optical drive (turns of when not in use though)
hard drive (turns of when not in use though)
wifi
bluetooth
ram

dvd playing uses the first four on that list, all but the screen at full power (hard drive for virtual memory), so your power consumption will be pretty crappy (no matter what computer youre using).

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 17, 2005
Looks like its time to do a few tests, and then report them back here :cool:

Dustintendo

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2005
BiikeMike said:
Looks like its time to do a few tests, and then report them back here :cool:

you'll have better results ripping your movies using handbrake because the dvd drive will suck upalot of power

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 17, 2005
Dustintendo said:
you'll have better results ripping your movies using handbrake because the dvd drive will suck upalot of power

Good Call!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.