powerbook battery messed?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by garzy, Feb 18, 2003.

1. garzy macrumors regular

i think i saw someone ask this question before, but i couldnt find the thread. anyway, my battery in my powerbook will only display that it has been charged to 99%. it will not have a fully charged battery icon, even when its pluged in for a really long time. does anyone know why?

thanks

2. moby1 macrumors 6502

It's normal.

I don't know "why" but I've seen it in PowerBooks before. I think it's normal.

Try unpluging the AC adapter and remove/reinsert the battery. It may then come back up to 100%.

3. garzy thread starter macrumors regular

do you think somethings wrong?
    im at 95% battery life on my 12in powerbook and the time remaining says 2hr 49min. on longest battery life setting, it only gives me a couple more minutes. it also takes a really long time to charge. this is the battery that came with the laptop. i didnt calibrate the battery. was this a mistake?

4. Xero macrumors 6502

yes

5. garzy thread starter macrumors regular

well it would "help" if you would explain why and provide a possible solution

6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

well as far as i know the user manual recommends you calibrate it, so i don't see any reason why you would skip it-- it's probably the cause of your problems...

and it does seem rather ... crappy that apple advertises battery life in a way that no one would use the computer... but that's marketing for ya...

pnw

7. Xero macrumors 6502

ok that may have been rude, but i think its pretty obvious that this is the root of your problems. usually if the manual tells you right off the bat to calibrate the battery, its usually a good idea to do so.:rolleyes:

As for fixing the problem now, i have no idea if you can re-calibrate the battery, im guessing not, if its been more than a week since youve had the laptop. only solution i could think of is getting a replacemet from apple and just streching the truth, saying you calibrated it and it was still bad.

8. funkywhat2 macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

9. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

Li-Ion batteries must be fully charged before the first use or they won't reach their full potential.