Powerbook Battery Question

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by parrothead, Apr 5, 2004.

1. parrothead macrumors 6502a

parrothead

I just got a new 15" Albook and I have been very pleased with it so far. However I noticed that the battery percentage never reads 100% no matter how long I charge it. Does anyone else have this problem or know if this is a known issue? My Tibook 500 never did this.

Thanks,

parrothead

2. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

are you sure its not just the normal plugged in issue where it won't take a charge unless the battery percentage drops below 95%?

3. Calvinatir macrumors 6502

Calvinatir

if i am using the powerbook while it is plugged in and charging it will peak at 100%...once it got to 100.6% but that was just weird. But as i continued to use it it will drop slowly, 99.6, 99.3, 99.0, etc. It usually rounds off at about 97-98% and maintain there. I have no idea why...just some of my observation :confused:

4. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

From what I understand this is fairly common. I know two people who have 15'' PB, who both experience this, and I sometimes do on my 12'' PB as well. I think its just a bug.

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Ive had my Powerbook plugged in for a week now and my Battery is at 96% but it charges to 100%

6. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

try this - unplug it and run it down to 10%. Then plug it in again - it should hit 100%. Batteries that stay plugged in for long periods of time lose a little capacity. Full drains help. The ipod exemplifies this.

7. porovaara macrumors regular

This is normal behaviour. Apple even documents this.

8. jamdr macrumors 6502a

jamdr

It's working correctly

AARRRGGHH! Sorry, but so many people see this behavior with their new PowerBook/iBook and think that something is wrong with their machine (including myself not too long ago). This is how it is suppose to act, otherwise the battery would wear down extremely fast. How it works is if your wear your battery out and then recharge it, it will charge to 100%, but only stay there for a few minutes. Then it will go down to 99% for a while, then to 98%...etc. This is because the battery is not charging anymore the moment it hits 100% and will start to slowly go back down. It will not begin to charge again until about 91-92% Don't worry, your new PowerBook knows what's best :)