Powerbook Battery Recall

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by andcraig, Aug 29, 2006.

1. andcraig macrumors regular

So fate just smiled on me.
    My 16 month old PB 15 incher has a poor battery that's down to 44% original capacity.
    Today i checked prices, was shocked at the 120 dollar pricetag.
    I also checked the info about the recall on batteries and...gasp...mine is affected!

so, not only do i get a non-potentially-exploding battery, but it comes right when i was going to replace mine.

I love when this happens. Now just to wait the 4-6 weeks.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

3. erikistired macrumors 6502

erikistired

yeah mine is on the bad list too. i thought it was amusing that they want you to stop using it immediately, but it'll take a month or more to get a new one. kinda defeats the purpose of having a notebook! of course, considering the amount of batteries they have to replace, i guess it'll take awhile to get them all manufactured and sent out.

4. Queso macrumors G4

I bought a replacement battery for my PowerBook recently and it's on the list. Back to my previous battery with the 20 minute usage time I guess :(

Good job I couldn't be bothered disposing of it properly and decided to keep it instead.

Bloody Sony :mad:

5. flat6 macrumors regular

Speaking of which. I have a 15" PowerBook G4, how do I remove the battery?

6. erikistired macrumors 6502

erikistired

if it's like the 12" there's a coin slot on the bottom, stick a quarter in there and turn, the battery will pop out. if not, um, someone else will tell you!

7. flat6 macrumors regular

Awesome, thanks.

Looks like it's a new battery for me.

8. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

I also had fate smile on me by getting a battery through the recall. I was within a week or two of purchasing a new one. 129 is not unheard of for laptop batteries, though--I paid the same for a new HP battery, if I recall.

My old battery is a year and a half old and has nearly 500 cycles on it. According to coconut battery, it has less that 25% of it's original capacity left.