Powerbook becomes very slow for no reason

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Ryvius, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Ryvius macrumors member

I just bought a new 15" Powerbook (latest rev).

Twice now things have gotten very slow. It takes forever to move the cursor around, programs load slowly. No major applications are up, usually its just Safari and maybe word. Closing all programs doesn't make a difference, the only thing that solves the problem is a reboot.

Has anyone encountered this before? Is it normal? And anyway to fix it?

I have 1.5 gigs of ram inside. 1.67 G4 and a 128 meg GPU. I never had any issues with this on my old 12" PB.

-- Ryvius

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

How much free space do you have on your start up drive? :)

Check Activity Monitor to see if there's a process using all of your CPU or RAM.

3. Ryvius thread starter macrumors member

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Try to free up more space. It's sounding like you could be having a Virtual RAM problem. Aim for 8GB plus.

5. zach macrumors 65816

zach

Yeah, it's your drive space. If at all possible, try to have 20% (16 gigs) of your drive free.

Mac OS X will not function with any reliability under 4 gigs free, and under 10 on a drive that big is pushing it.

6. generik macrumors 601

generik

7. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Whyren

I managed to run Jaguar on my 40 GB HD with a little more than 250 MB free space. Simply put, even if it will run at under 4 GB, don't...stuff starts getting weird (below 250 on mine it wouldn't even run). Fortunately, my 300 GB should last a while (though that's what I said when I originally got the 40 GB...and before that when I got a 4 GB). It's all Unreal Tournament 2004's fault. :p