powerbook bending

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by afortner, Dec 16, 2004.

1. afortner macrumors newbie

Sep 4, 2004
    I bought a 12" powerbook about 4 months ago. I noticed about a month and a half ago that it is starting to deform around the battery area. The actual metal around the front righ edge is sticking out, and there is about a 1 cm' gap. It is also beginning to lump out on the right near the cd slot. There is also about a 3 cm. gap inbetween the battery and the metal slab. I tried bending it in, with no avail.
    I was wondering id anyone has, or has had, this problem. Did you send it in to Apple? I do have the apple care. How long did it take to be fixed? I am really not sure how long I can go without my computer- lol.

Thanks for any help that is offered up.
  2. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Jul 28, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    One and three cm gaps would be huge, do you mean mm?

What could you be doing with the PB that might cause this? It's not likely to have happened on it's own so maybe it's the way you're transporting it?
  3. stephenrydalch macrumors newbie

Sep 7, 2004
    I work at a computer store that is an apple reseller. We've seen this exact same issue about 4 or 5 times over the past year. It's basically a defect with some of the powerbook designs. It's somehow related to heat if I remember correctly.

Anyway, call Apple. They know about this issue and shouldn't give you too hard of a time as far as blaming you. They're really good about repair time for stuff like this. Your computer shouldn't be away from you for more than 2 or 3 days.

Hope that helps.

4. maya macrumors 68040

Oct 7, 2004
    somewhere between here and there.
    2-3 days that is snappy indeed, Apple seems to be improving they HW Tech time as of recent. when I had a defective screen on my PB it was in the shop for 2 weeks......glad to see this has changed. :)
  5. afortner thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 4, 2004
    Haha- yeah, I guess mm would be more likely.
    Thanks so much for the advice- I feel much better about calling them now. I wasn't sure if I was going to get the third degree, like i did it.

6. herrmill macrumors member

Mar 20, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL, Shanghai, China & NW 11/12
    I have a a 15" Ai rev A PB & noticed recently a slight dip on the deck above the drive slot where my wrist sits while typing. It's about 1-2mm deep & doesn't affect (knock on wood) the drive's function.

I'm a heavy user & have been using this machine about 10hrs daily for the past year & thought that mine might be an exception, but then saw the same problem on a display model at an Apple Store. The salesman claimed he'd never seen this before nor been advised of it.

Would like to know of any others who've experienced similar problems with what is certainly a design flaw on Apple's part.