Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BEET

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2004
Guernsey, Channel Islands
Hello potential saviours.

I've got a 15in aluminium powerbook, a couple of years old. So far I've had nearly everything go wrong with it. replaced screen, knackered hd, ram port failiure, and a battery that lasts 10 minutes.

I recently replaced the harddrive, as the standard issue one packed up a few times. I followed the instructions on ifixit.com website. To my delight I actually managed to do it, and the pb worked well for a few weeks. Then suddenly, the screen froze and faded to white.
So far I've tried everything -

Resetting the pmu.
Resetting the pram and nvram.
Opened it up to check I reconnected everything.
and checked to see if the hd is still working starting it up from another computer, and it works fine. Everythings still there.
Someone also said if you hold 'R' key down on start up it resets the lcd.
BUT STILL BLANK!!!!!!!!!

The screen still seems to turn black after a little while, indicating the energy saver is still on. I'm thinking I may have dislodged an lcd connection or something?
Any suggestions would be massively appreciated! (before it turns into an expensive frisbee).

cheers.

gman71882

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
Houston, Tx
Have you plugged it into an external monitor to see if you can get output that way?
I'm currently working on a powerbook 17" 1.5 GHZ system where the Video RAM has failed.
The machine turns on fine, but it thinks it is plugged into an external CRT display: i get a bunch of odd resolutions in the Sy prefs / displays. and the LCD is split down the middle, reversing the display, with the bottom on the top part of the screen.
When its plugged into an external LCD it works alright and is usable.
I'm getting the Logic board replaced because the video card is integrated into the whole system.

If you can get it running, run the Hardware test on it and let it check out all the hardware components.

BEET

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2004
I've connected it to an ibook and ran it that way, and it works ok.
Yeh, I'll try the hardware test and see if it can find any problems.

Is there a chance it could simpy be a video lead or connection?

BEET

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2004
2nyRiggz said:
Your lcd might be at its end. Run the test with an external monitor, back up everything and maybe its time for an upgrade.

Bless

Yeh i think i probably will get a new computer sometime next year. I'm just a little hacked off that I paid £1700 for a laptop that didn't last two years!

BEET

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2004
The next episode of the determined pb user

ok. so now someone has leant me a monitor.

I have everthing powered up and plugged in, I turned the pb on and after the usual startup time the both screens start doing stuff. predictably the pb screen lights up but remains white. the monitor screen goes so far as to load my desk top image but nothing else. no finder menu or hd on the desktop. what the?! Do I need to do something else when I connect the screen or should my usual desktop automatically appear?

once again, I will be overcome with gratitude in response to any informative suggestions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.