PowerBook broken hinge

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by vitruvius, Feb 27, 2004.

1. vitruvius macrumors regular

After some time experimenting some troubles of unaligment in my powerbooks left hinge it finally broke, can somebody tell me if its possible to repair it and how much it would cost?

thx

:(

Attached Files:

• p.jpg
      p.jpg
      File size:
      83.4 KB
      Views:
  2. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

It is fixable, but actually getting the parts of the old hinge out and putting the new one in is a feat to be proud of. The hinge goes halfway up the side of the screen and you need to take the whole thing apart to do that. I think you can find a place online that puts new ones in for 175 bucks installed. Do that.

BEN

3. vitruvius thread starter macrumors regular

thx saab, let me see what can i find. unfurtunate i live in venezuela and now we have a currency exchange control so i can't do $ payments in internet.:mad:

anyone else have/had the same problem? ( the powerbook one of corse, not the $ one ;)

thx

4. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

so who does this for 175? anyone find out? i need to get this done asap. thanx.

5. California macrumors 68040

California

6. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

7. California macrumors 68040

California

I have no idea what Daystar would charge but it's worth a call. My Tibook is going into them for a broken topcase and other things. Reasonable, especially when you are in love with your Tibook and don't want to get a new PB just because Apple might come out with a new one.

8. ckkoay macrumors newbie

Mine's broken too...

I'm having the same problem, except that it's TWO hinges that are broken, not one. Was lying down on my bed reading a document when the screen was accidently knocked flat down causing a heart-breaking cracking sound.

The LCD is fine but it has no support now. The screen can't stand on its own and will flop down. Bummer!

Anyway, I'm going to the nearest Apple support center tomorrow to have it looked at. Hopefully, it's just the hinges that I have to replace. Will let you know how much it costs tomorrow.

cheers!

9. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

you probably have that one year warrenty. any news yet?

10. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

very helpful you must of had a wonderful holiday.

to the person asking about a broken hinge. do a search with google. ive heard their pretty easy to replace.

edit: after reading all the replies i guess it might not be easy. ive seen them advertised on the web before. im looking at my tibook 667 and it seems pretty simple, you never know though. i would look into replacing them on your own first.

11. daystartech macrumors newbie