Powerbook, buy now for cheapness?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by bullsnatcher, Jun 30, 2003.

1. bullsnatcher macrumors newbie

Jun 30, 2003
    Hello there, does anyone now if the new updated powerbooks rumoured to be forth coming in the next few weeks, will be a lot more expensive then the current powerbooks. Im debating wheather to buy a 12inch PB now and hopefully save a buck before the new updated ones are realeased.
    can anyone help?

2. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    purely my thoughts, but...

i think the only PB model that could (but probably won't) result in an increased price is the 15" - where "significant" update can be expected with new casing, motherboard (for AE and FW 800, perhaps?), maybe lit keyboard, etc.

if you are in the market for the 12", my guess is that the only update would be a speed bump, at least in the span of next few months. i'd wait until the no-keynote creative-type conference (in july? sorry, forgot the real name) to see if anything would come of the PB line.

if you won't mind seeing your PB 12" speedbumped to 1GHz, perhaps even higher, for the same price within a few months after your purchase, go fot it now...
  3. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Sep 22, 2002
    New York
    It is MacWorld Creative Pro Conference & Expo. But I still call it MWNY as a protest. :)

I think Apple might raise the price of the 12" PB $100, lower the 17" PB $100, and raise the 15" PB as well. I am not too sure however, because if the high end 15" PB is raised too much, then that might cause a problem with the 17" PB, especially now that there is evidence that there will be 2 17" models. See this thread on Page 2.

I know people have been saying this since February, but wait. :)
  4. tazo macrumors 68040

Apr 6, 2003
    Pacific Northwest, Seattle, WA actually
    i think one of the best deals in computing is the combo 12'' pb. seriously.

no where else in the computing world, pc or mac, can you get a combo drive notebook at 4.3 pounds, with firewire, USB, 40 gig hard drive, DDR ram, and a desktop processor.

Not to mention under 1600 :)

go look ):