PowerBook. Buy now, or is there going to be a change soon?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jevel, Dec 7, 2003.

1. jevel macrumors regular

I've finally decided that I need a MAC to supplement my machines, and my primarly uses are surfing the web, networking, wordprocessing, mail, some gaming, PS and FC.

Money is not an issue, but I feel that it should be portable, so that kinda rules out the 17'', doesn't it? Anyone been using the 17'' on a daily basis, carrying it to and from, using public transport?

From what I can see, the 1.25GHz 15'' would be the ideal compromis between power an portability. Strong graphics, fast CPU, good resolution on the screen, etc. etc.

Or; could I do what I want with the 12'' version? Sure is appealing to be able to do with a machine the size of a magazine :D

Comments and recommendations are appreciated!

-KJ

2. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Well, first of all, it's "Mac", not "MAC" ;). I would not get a 17" if you want to carry it around. It's huge, and does not lend itself to frequent transportation. From the sounds of what you do, either the 15" or 12" would more than suit your needs. If you do a lot of gaming though, get the 15". The graphics card is far superior to that of the 12". I have the 12", and while it's fabulous for everything, it is a bit lacking in fps games. I find the screen size of the 12" fine, but half the time I have it plugged into a 21" monitor, so it might be too small as your only screen. Go to a retailer and play around with the 12" and 15" and see which one you would be happy with.

3. ethernet76 macrumors 6502a

Signs point to no. Updates soon? Probably not. Everyone knows the G4 powerbook is a dying line, and until the G5 powerbook line comes out i'm not expecting updates, only G5 speed for the most parts and possible iMac updates.

4. ziel macrumors newbie

Whatever you choose, be a little patient. A reseller in Switzerland posted a message that PB 15" 1 G and 1.25 G cannot be ordered anymore from them! So new models will be out soon?!

5. jevel thread starter macrumors regular

When did the reseller post that? You sure that wasn't due to the problems with the 15'' screens?

Anyways; it's too late now. Took the plunge and forked out $3.600 on a 1.25GHz 15''... Now it's time to do some waiting. If they release anything new within 14 days of me getting my order, I'll simply send it back and order the new model. :D

-KJ

6. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    I carry my 17 to class everyday. its not unweildy at all, and trust me, when ur taking notes in lecture nothing beats having a big screen where u can compare last lectures notes to the one your taking or fixing up your music library.

as for the waiting issue, if you can wait till after macworld sf, if u cant then it shouldnt matter u get one now. treat yourself!!!

7. jevel thread starter macrumors regular

OK, so i took the plunge. I ordered the 1.25GHz 15'' from AppleStore online, and judging by a lot of postings on how long it takes to get the new products, I reckoned I'd be spending the next few weeks on the web staring at my Order Process page @ Apple.

But!

I confirmed my order at about 0800 09.12.2003. I got an order acknowledgement from apple @ 1135, order confirmed @ 1337, and when I get up now I see that the unit shipped @ 0432, 10.12,2003! That's less than 24 hours on the whole process from me confirming my order to the unit is shipped.

Now I just have my fingers crossed hoping that transport won't take too long! :D

-KJ

8. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Hey, congratulations on the purchase! I think you made the right choice. I love my AlPB 15". Absolutely LOVE it. This is my first Mac and, having worked extensively with both Windows and Red Hat Linux in the past, I've got to say that OS X is everything I'd hoped it'd be, and more.

I don't think you're going to regret your purchase one whit. I just hope you get it as fast as it appears you might!

9. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

Shipped??:eek: I ordered my setup (1.25 15") yesterday and it's still sitting in China. The only stuff on the way from my order is the Airport base station and FCE.
    Have you had.. relations with Jobs or something? I mean... wow.

Congrats on the order. It took me about three months of saving and lurking here to decide on a 15 incher in time for finals.

edit: went to my order status screen...

10. jevel thread starter macrumors regular

@ Westside guy

I have the same background as you, and I've been drooling over OS X since the first time I saw it. Sadly prices here in Norway has prohibited me from buying one, as it costs > $3.500,-

But now I've come in a situation where it was possible, and I used very little time to decide. I'm really looking forward to getting it! :D

@ Kingsnapped

I know! Most of the other people I've seen around has been complaining about one to two weeks build time, I've even seen someone complain about their orders standing on recieved for days. That's why I was hoping to have it before christmas, but had sort of expected it to take longer. Imagine my joy as I saw the shipping notification in my inbox!?!

I hope you get yours as soon as possible. Did you order a stock one, or a custom built?

-KJ

11. jevel thread starter macrumors regular

I just checked the order status on apple's web, and I found this:

That means that they actually picked up the shipment two hours before the status went to shipped on apple's pages, about twelve hours after my payment went through!

Now that's efficiency!

Just hope that TNT gets it's act together and rushes it to me! :)

-KJ