Powerbook Buying Questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Save Ferris, Nov 6, 2003.

1. Save Ferris macrumors newbie

If I want to do some work from home at my new job I'll have to buy a Mac. Ive always used a PC at home (for gaming) and Macs at work, so ive never ever bought one.

Im pretty sure i want a powerbook so i can take it in the car or out of the house.

-- Do they make a laptop that has dual processors? I need that believe it or not.

-- When in the next 3 months should i buy one? Before/after Christmas? January?

-- Im not in the 'mac scene'; are there any rumors of an upgrade/new ver. of powerbook? Maybe after the new year?

-- Im pretty sure i still want to use a PC for internet. Do i still have to pay for all the wireless stuff on a powerbook? Does apple customize anything to lower the price?

thx!

2. dieselg4 macrumors regular

dieselg4

Re: Powerbook Buying Questions

Apple doesn't make a dual processor laptop. To my knowledge no one (Apple or PC) does (maybe SUN?). Its been widely speculated that Apple has been entertaining the idea, but most seem to feel its unlikely. I'm not sure why you would need a dual processor computer, but if that is soemthing you need, then your choice will be easy - a dualie G4 or G5.

There is wide specualtion about what Mac Expo San Fran will bring. Powerbooks and iBooks were the last items upgraded, so I feel that they are the least likely to see a revision; however, they are also the poorest performers. With more and more Apple sales goign to laptops, you'd think they'd pump them upa s much as possible, as often as possible. If I had to guess I'd say G5's are most likely to see a speed increase in January, secondly the iMac. Thirdly Powerbooks, only because they were one of the last updates and Motorola (who makes the G4) seems to make the slowest progress.

As far as all the wireless "stuff", if you have a wireless router at home you can prob. connect you macc to it fairly easily. An AIrport Extreme card is only $89 or so, and you can find them used on eBay or from the Apple store for a little less (but a few of the PB's come with them installed I think - even if not, its a painless procuedure.) As far as modems, 10bT 100bT etc., all powerbooks and powermacs come with these built in, unless you request the modem be left out. I don't know what other internet equip you might need, unless you connect through your cellular phone and in that case you'd have to check w/ them.

3. Save Ferris thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply! I didnt know how popular this subject was until I started looking at the other topics in depth.

I would be using it for 3D rendering and that chugs lots of RAM and CPU speed.

Is a Powerbook even what I should get? Im open to suggestions!

4. dieselg4 macrumors regular

dieselg4

If the program you are using is capable of utilized it, then you should prob. get a desktop, depednsing on how inportant the portability is. Are you usinf Form Z by chance?

If it ISN'T multi processor aware, then it would easier to say Powerbook. It would be slower than a comparably priced desktop, but you'd have the mobility you desire.

5. Save Ferris thread starter macrumors newbie

I do use Form*Z now but I will be using Maya with my new job.

Im pretty sure it does use dual processing--the main computer I would be using has that.

The laptop is just so I dont have to put in so many long hours at work or home.