powerbook buzzing

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by mattster16, Jun 13, 2005.

1. macrumors 6502

Apr 18, 2004
    My powerbook has been making a weird buzzing noise. It sounds like a fan vibrating or rubbing on something. It is worse when I move the computer around and it doesn't happen when it's on a flat surface. It is driving me insane. Is there a fan that always runs in the powerbook? I'm not familiar with the internal layout.

Edit: Now I am sort of scared it is the harddrive...
  2. mpw

Jun 18, 2004
    "powerbook buzzing"

Yeah man, my iMac's wicked too!
  3. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Has it always buzzed? In the PowerBooks, from what I know, the fan runs pretty much all of the time although I might be wrong on that.
  4. thread starter macrumors 6502

Apr 18, 2004
    I think it's the harddrive. Is the harddrive under the scrollpad on a 15" Rev C pb? If so I might need to back up and send this baby to applecare.

Until then...SO ANNOYING. Sounds like an electric shaver.
  5. rbo
    macrumors newbie

Apr 15, 2005
    Vancouver, Canada
    As far as I know, yes, the HD is under the trackpad on the 15"ers (I'm sure about rev. D, not positive about rev.C but i would assume all the G4 15" pb's are arranged the same)
  6. macrumors newbie

May 30, 2004
    I have a strange buzzing noise also on my revC which is about a year old, very similar to what you describe. Started about a month ago and is quite loud when I move it and generally only seems to happen once I've been running for a while and the computer is getting hot so I presumed it was fan-related. From what I could tell it was coming from up at that thin strip above the keyboard though rather than by the trackpad so maybe there is a different source to the problem.....
  7. macrumors newbie

Sep 30, 2004
    My 12 inch Powerbook has started buzzing also, but only when i have it on an angle, when it's flat it's fine, but if I have it on my lap, say a 45degree angle, it starts to buzz and will sometimes freeze, but it will unfreeze and work fine again as soon as I put it flat again. It has my pretty concerned I called apple and they want $50 just to troubleshoot it over the phone. Could it be something loose inside the computer???