Powerbook - can it run two external displays?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by deep square leg, Jan 18, 2004.

1. deep square leg macrumors newbie

My PC has been on its last legs for years. However, I do run two flat 21" CRTs off it, which is very nice.

I'm still trying to decide whether to order a G5 in a few days or get a powerbook. The portability would be really handy, and of course when I get home I could just plug it in to one of the external displays.

One advantage that the G5 would have is that I can easily use both monitors (I'd have to get a vga-adc or a sun-adc adapter for the second one, the first could use the included vga-dvi adapter).

However, the powerbooks only have the one MiniDVI or DVI port. Is there any way to add a secondary external display? Any expansion card? I could use s-video, I suppose, but the quality would not be the best. Can anyone tell me what the s-video is like in the powerbooks?

Thanks!

2. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

don't know of any laptops that can run 2 different displays
    you could probably get a connector that would allow you to connect 2 monitors but both would display the same image

3. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
  4. kwajo.com macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

something i've been wondering: can you use a second display and use the s-video out at the same time? I want to try this for colour correction with Final Cut. any one have experience with this on a alubook, or do I just have to try?

5. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

I can't see any possible way for one video card to do this - the ones with dual output are essentially two cards on one board.

You'll probably also want to check that the G5's video drivers can handle two video cards. That's not a given either.

6. cpjakes macrumors 6502

There are PCMCIA cards that run monitors for the Mac, can't remember the site/company but I'll look around for it in a bit...

cpjakes

7. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

8. cpjakes macrumors 6502

That'd be it...

9. deep square leg thread starter macrumors newbie

10. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

dualies

Laptops can't do more than one external display at a time (maybe two if they are the same image) because it HAS to run the laptop monitor itself. Very intriguing idea about the s-video and the display idea with FCP, though. I want to try that.

11. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

So you want to have 2 21 inch monitors and the monitor on the laptop? totally 3 monitors?

And i thought i was greedy ... LOL

12. deep square leg thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha no, I'd just have the notebook shut on the desk when at home... I've got a thing for symmetry ;)

appleretailguy: so, is that VT product mentioned in this thread bogus?

13. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

Actually ... when my baby goes under, and it's time to upgrade i think i'll go portable... and that VT thing looks awesome ... so i'll probably end up running 3 monitors

there is no such thing as to much screen realestate ... i want a multi screen set up like in SwordFish or Tomb Raider :)

14. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

VTbook Idea

Well, first off...http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/detail.asp?dpno=319774

In theory, looks like a great buy. However, there is no info about units in stock or ship date....

I am a bit wary of a product like this, but I see no real reason why it won't work. The DVI out port and the cardbus work independently of each other. I would be VERY interested in demoing something like this first, HOWEVER.