powerbook casing (reprise)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by joeyjojoe, Oct 7, 2003.

1. joeyjojoe macrumors regular

three options i need help deciding between:

1 - get a sleeve (TomBihn Monolith) for my 15" powerbook and use it inside my Jansport Airlift backpack

2 - get whole new bag that can carry my laptop plus other stuff (i haven't decided on a bag if i go with this option, so please let me know if you like one)

3 - fashion my powerbook into a hat and wear it around

2. nickfit macrumors member

Although I like the last option, I think that you risk damaging your Powerbook and your reputation by wearing it on your head.

If you go the second route, I suggest going the tibag. It was originally designed for the tiBook, but it works perfectly for the new albooks. It is simple and inexpensive, only $40. Go to http://my2cents.biz/tibagusa/.

3. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

I went out to the sheep pen and grabbed a ewe. After skinning the critter, I had the hide processed. leaving most of the coat intact. Using a few rivets and a stich or two, I made a nifty vest with a pocket in front. I look like Sonny Bono in 1967, but the heat from the processor keeps me toasty on these cool Illinois days. I made a matching one for my iPod too.

4. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

if you do end up making a hat out of it, at least it would do a good job of keeping your head nice and toasty.

personally, though, i like the idea of just getting a sleeve for it that would allow you to carry it in any bag you happened to be carrying at the moment. also, if you only happened to need the computer at any given time, it would be a lot easier to carry around.

5. PaisanoMan macrumors member

For top-loading backpack cases, I suggest looking at one made by Willow Design. I own one for my 12", and I will definitely buy from them when I get a 15". They aren't designed to be flashy, but they're tough as nails, made specifically for our Macs, and offer plushy protection.

I haven't considered the hat option, however. Let me know how that works out.

6. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

If you travel a lot and want to protect the investment, go hardcore..

http://www.pelican.com/cases/cases.html

We've got a few of the 1520's around the office..

[​IMG]

7. joeyjojoe thread starter macrumors regular

thanks to all your replies, i've decided to use the laptop as a hat instead of a powerful computer. $2500 hat, now thats living the good life.

seriously, i think i'm just going to buy a sleeve and stick with my current backpack. i don't think i can switch away from jansport. these bags have served me well for the last 15 years.

8. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

This thread was useful for me as well. I am considering the Pelican 1470 Attache for field work. According to the specs a 15" AlBook should fit inside perfectly.

It looks like a 17"Albook will just barely fit in a 1490.