Powerbook CD-r issue

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by esternullo, Jan 27, 2004.

1. esternullo macrumors member

just recently my Powerbook has refused to recognize any cd-rs i have inserted into the drive. i normally use TDK and they used to work all the time (and it's not a new spindle, half the other cds i already burned with this computer). i tried Hypermedia (prolly the wrong direction to go quality-wise but only other cd-r i had available), but still no success...

if anyone else has encountered this problem, please help me....

Powerbook 1Ghtz G4 with Combo-drive running Panther

2. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    how old is ur pb? can it recognize any normal cds, like audio. if not it could be a dead drive.

3. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

4. esternullo thread starter macrumors member

my PB is a little over a year old...

it reads everything else, audio, dvd, software, burned cds, but just will not read a blank disc....

5. esternullo thread starter macrumors member

problem solved....

i booted up in safe mode and tried to insert the blank disk, and was successful.

the same happened after i restarted normal...

still, whatever the cause of the problem is, it eludes me...

6. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

7. esternullo thread starter macrumors member

ah, man. this is getting to me. i have the same problem again, but this time, the safe boot and retsart isn't fixing anything...

i bought a pack of TDK cds, burned 4 of the discs, now the drive won't read anymore of the cd-r's. Any suggestions?

8. esternullo thread starter macrumors member

Does anybody know why my drive is being so screwy? i burned a couple more disks today, but now its back to not reading blanks.

9. briankonar macrumors regular

wtf is safe mode?

did u try resetting PRAM? repairing permissions? if you recently upgraded to 10.3.3 i know their was a permissions change on cds9660.util (which is the most basic cd format, compatible with almost anything) i believe this could be your problem.

go to Disk Utility (User>Apps>Utilities>Disk Utility), select your main HD's volume, and Verify Permissions. If anything comes up, Repair Permissions.
    You could also try Verifying the actual Hard Disk itself (i doubt this would help) by booting off of your installation cd and running Disk Utility off of that (much slower, more thorough).

10. esternullo thread starter macrumors member

i tired to repair the permissions, but i still have the problem. Sometimes it reads the disks, most times it doesn't.

safe boot is when you boot up and hold the shift key. it runs disk utility in the process of starting up under limited conditions.

how do you reset PRAM? what is PRAM?

11. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

I have a 1GHz PowerBook with SuperDrive which does something similar. The blank CD-Rs don't mount. Toast 6, however, sees them; this is why there's no major problem. Once they're burned, OS X immediately sees them.