Powerbook charger problems

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by saunders45, Sep 22, 2004.

1. saunders45 macrumors 6502a

saunders45

Ok, so I've had my 15" powerbook for about 1 month. I have noticed that the charger has been acting funny. Last night when I got home form work I plugged it in an closed the screen to let it charge at about 5:30pm. I get home at 8:30 and I notice that the light on the adapter is not on, no orange, no green. I open up my PB and the battery is at 45%, so somewhere it stopped charging. I plug it back in and change to the long cord adapter thing it may be that and plug into different outlet. and watch some of the special features on the Star Wars DVDs(widescreen of course ;) ) I got to bed and when I wake up this morning for work I notice that the charger is off again.

Anyone else have problems like this?

2. starrin macrumors member

If your powerbook 15inch is like mine - if I just breathe on the connection between the cord and the powerbook it gets unseated where it is not charging any longer. I find twisting it a few times will give it better contact.

By the way -- this has been a source of frustration for me and I view this as something that needs to be addressed by Apple in the future. I have never had a laptop that did not seat the powercord real good so that if the book is moved around it still stays charging.

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yeah my old Apple charger would occasionally do that. Unplugging are replugging fixed the problem.

4. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

just phone apple up tell them and they will send you a new one... no sweat

5. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

i've had this problem as well, but only when using the straight two-prong plug. When i use the 3-prong extender, it never happens. like al-famous said, applecare will hook you up with a new one.

6. saunders45 thread starter macrumors 6502a

saunders45

Yeah, thats what i was thinking. I'll just give 'em a buzz tonight.

7. USC_Gamecock macrumors member

Oh man, I don't want to hear this ...

I just purchased a new 17 inch PB, and should recieve it Monday, it shipped yesterday from China.

My last laptop was a VAIO, which I had to replace because the power input ... which is completely attached to the Motherboard, broke off the motherboard. Was going bad for a few months, but I got by with twisting the cord, putting a stapler on the connector when it was attached to the computer, to put some weight on it. But finally it broke. I tried to get it fixed, but nothing worked, and my next bet was buying a new $800 mobo for it ... so I just bought a new laptop instead. Last thing I want to hear is problems with power connections on PB's!!!!!

8. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

it's nothing worth getting worried about. the problem is specific to the brick (adapter). i actually had one completely break on me two hours before i was running a video installation off my powerbook at a theatre. i called apple, they told me where the closest service/retailer was, and called ahead to the place to pre-authorize the replacement. i ran in grabbed my new adapter and ran out. so there, a little anecdotal apple service helped to set your mind at ease :)

9. saunders45 thread starter macrumors 6502a

saunders45

10. saunders45 thread starter macrumors 6502a

saunders45

Update:

Just got off the phone with apple. Unfortunately I got a trainee, which took about an hour. Also my info was somehow screwed up and they were saying my 90 days was not showing up. I showed them that they were wrong as the PB was purchased on the 25th of august. Anyway, I finally got to speak to a "tier 2" guru and he took care of it. He also sent me an extra 6' 3 prong adapter for free.
    Apple rules.