Powerbook combo drive not recognizing DVDs

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by tpjunkie, Mar 4, 2004.

1. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

My 667 DVI powerbook combo drive has stopped recognizing DVDs; it spins them for a few seconds then ejects the DVD without saying anything 90% of the time, occasionally it tells me they're blank. I'm running 10.3.2, which I recently installed, about two weeks ago...I've checked for any firmware updates and I have the most current firmware already. If anyone has any advice on how to fix this, I'd really appreciate it.

2. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    I'd try to make sure it's not a software issue by doing a clean install and seeing if that helps. If not then it's probably a hardware issue and you should take it to an apple authorized service senter. (You do have AppleCare, right?)

3. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    if ur drive was working for a couple of weeks with 10.3.2 i doubt its a software problem. sounds like ur drive may be on its last legs maybe :(

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I know the optical drive in my 1Ghz TiBook is a little sensitive, I have a couple CDs that it won't recognize, but it's done that ever since I got it. Of course like 99% of them work so I haven't been too concerned with trying to isolate and fix the problem. And since it's been doing it since day one I figure there's probably not much I can do short of installing a new drive.

5. tpjunkie thread starter macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

Ok, I don't have Applecare, and I don't know how long after I installed 10.3.2 two weeks ago. It hasn't been recognizing DVDs, since I accidently left my entire collection at home over winter break. However, I tried all the DVDs I could get my hands on, and it recognized Wayne's World 2, but failed to recognize Red Dwarf Series III (and IV), 12 Monkeys, Shaft's Big Score, and Boondock Saints.

In the past (under jaguar) I have played 12 monkeys, and Red Dwarf series I and II on my powerbook.

6. unoriginl macrumors newbie

Did you drop it?

I had the same problem with my new 15" powerbook. The shoulder strap on my case snapped and the corner the combo drive is on hit the ground after falling about 3 feet. After that, it simply wouldn't recognize any DVD (though CDs still worked just fine). Luckily I was still under Applecare and the guy at the Apple store didn't ask any questions so I didn't have to tell him it stopped because I dropped it.

7. tpjunkie thread starter macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

nope, I haven't dropped it. I was checking the forums at apple, and it seems there are other 15 inch tibook users that have been having trouble with their combo drives after installing panther, though.

8. giffut macrumors 6502

Laser Mechanism probably discfunctional

This might be very common: The laser is no longer in his right position. I had the same problem with a combo drive in an iBook. What happened was that I still could access single layer 4.7GB DVDs and any CDs and I still could burn CDs. But no longer any DVD which was bigger than that, like dual layer DVDs as with most commercial ones, which are around 6GB or similar. So the mechanism is misaligned. If this is severe, you even might end up not being able to read any DVD. Don´t forget: DVDs store much more data than a CD, so the laser must be very accurate during read/ write processes.. There is no easy workaround for that. The best is either being on warranty/ Apple Care or buying a new drive.