Powerbook combo drive problem

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by wibbly_pig, Mar 26, 2004.

1. wibbly_pig macrumors newbie

My Ti powerbook (800Mhz DVI) combo drive packed in some months ago right on the edge of its warranty. It was fixed by the local reseller (apparantly loose connection) and seemed fine. It IS fine for reading CD-ROMs and DVDs, but for some reason refuses to read any audio CD ("you've inserted a volume which cannot be read" etc.).

By the time I discovered this, the powerbook was out of warranty. Seems like it should be something I should be able to fix myself anyway. If the drive reads CD-ROMs fine, it must be a software/dip-switch setting or something. Any ideas?

Thanks for any advice!

John

2. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

I don't know man, but my same gen powerbook just up and decided to give up reading DVDs three weeks ago, and everyone agreed that it was the laser head getting misaligned that was to blame. Of course, that meant a replacement of the drive to fix it, so I treated myself for an extra 70 bucks to a 2x superdrive from dfwdepot.com, which after installation worked great. As far as dip switches go, having removed my old drive and holding it right now in my hand, I can assure you there are no external switches or buttons that could be pushed.

3. wibbly_pig thread starter macrumors newbie

Thing is that mine is still reading CD-ROMs...which I would have thought means that there's nothing wrong with the laser. So, if there's nothing to push, maybe this means software? Bit weird.....can't see why there should be a software problem - nothing changed around the time it was being fixed.