Powerbook concern

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by glay, Sep 15, 2004.

1. glay macrumors member

I was just admiring how wonderful the powerbook 12" is when i noticed in the front that whens its closed the screen sided flap doesn't sit completely flat against the keyboard side flap. Its closer in the middle where the magnet is and wider near the sides. There is a minor gap. Is this a problem? Thanks!

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

This is normal. It's not a problem. Enjoy the PowerBook :)

3. glay thread starter macrumors member

Cool thanks! I was getting a little worried there for a second!

4. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

It's normal but that's not the way they're manufactured.

The reason the lid bends down in the middle is the way a lot of people handle the PowerBook. There are rubber bumpers on the top corners of the lid but nothing in the middle except the latch. If you apply a bit of pressure when you close the lid, you're bending the middle part in. If you hold the powerbook from that side, you're bending the middle part in.

My first 12" had a pronounced bend (about 2 or 3mm). My current one is perfectly straight.

5. Toe macrumors 65816

Toe

Indeed, the bumpers were a very deliberate (very good) choice by Apple. On Titaniums and earlier models, the keyboard sat directly against the screen, and oils from fingers that would rub onto the keys would stain the screen... permanantly. The little bumpers solve that.

I always carry my 12" with the hinge clasped in my palm (like one would carry a book), so that any pressure is applied to the hinge-side, which is pretty unbendable.