Powerbook Countdown

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by carbonmotion, Feb 18, 2004.

1. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

Hey guys,

Today my friend came and took back the powerbook 867 12" that he had loaned to me ...so in 12 hours i'm going to drive to the apple store and buy either a 12" or a 15"........... for me! I still haven't decided which one yet even after 3 threads of dicussion... the price difference after calculation is 400 dollars between the two machines and i actually leaning toward the 12" ....because I'm a college student and I walk around campus alot also in the summer Im traveling to DC to do an intership so that promises alot of traveling with the laptop and I worry about the 15''s extra weight, lower battery life and, odd size....(yeah i don't want get a new bag, I have one right now that I love but it wont fit wide powerbooks)...also I'd rather not spend another 400 bucks for things that I wont need....like the extra PCMIA card, the gigabyte ethernet (i never used the ethernet port)

...I dunno, I'm feeling the 12" come on pretty strong... But like every other person living in the consumerist society, we always feel compelled to get things that we dont need because of its status symbol or simply because of the mental notion that bigger is better, this often times drives us to overspend (which i'd like to avoid, but that irrational compulsion is strong...I wish I were a art student sometimes so I have a proffessional justification for spending the money on the extra goodies)

Anyways, this is just me trying to sort out my last minute jitters about the purchase. I still don't know which side is going to win... my practical side or my consumerist side. Only time will tell, lol. 11 HR 57 Minutes remainning.

2. zapp macrumors regular

zapp

It is a hard choice, I own the 12" and am happy. I reccomend when you go to buy it check both out and play with them a little. You will have buyers remorse, and you will think that you should have gotten the other one anyhow. My next one will be a 15" It isn't that much bigger, and it is not like it is 5 pounds heavier or anything. And the screen real estate is a bonus. Hope everything goes well on you purchase.

3. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

either way

its a good choice. The size is an issuse if you are traveling a lot, so the 12 inch will be perfect. Don't forget the iBook 14 or 12 inch. They aren't that bad either.

4. gemio17 macrumors regular

you need to go to the store and try 'em out-take 'em for a test drive and then bite on which ever one you fall for. I went looking at the iBook-fell for the 12"pb and then said-wait a sec and have now just purchased the 15"-after months (4) of testing, researching and waiting for an update. that's the best thing to do- I would suggest - even though it's hard to resist buying at the store - ordering online to max out the hard drive and other options if you are going to get the 12"- and forget about the internal superdrive-if you really need it get an external- they are cheaper and faster. That'll bring the price down even more- I just got the 15" 1.25 w/combo drive, 80gb 5400rpm hd for $2271 (after gov't disc.). now when is it gonna get here???

5. carbonmotion thread starter macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

6. Ambrose Chapel macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

if your primary concern is portability, get the 12." i have a 15" Ti and it is just a little too big to be easily portable--i still have reservations about bringing it on a lot of trips. a friend of mine has the 12" and it's just perfect for lugging around all over. i think if i had a 12" i'd bring it everywhere too.