Powerbook + CRT Studio Display = ?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by KevRC4130, Sep 18, 2004.

1. KevRC4130 macrumors 6502

Hey everyone,
    I've got a Rev. C 12" Powerbook, and I'm interesting in maybe spanning to an old CRT 17" Studio Display (the translucent one of course!). It has an ADC connector, and I'm wondering if this is compatable with the Powerbook? Do I need to buy anything special, and how much does it cost? Also does anyone have any reviews of the Studio Displays. I can't really afford an LCD, and this is the only CRT that is cool enough for my desk :cool:

Thanks

2. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

You need the Apple mini-DVI to ADC connector. You can get them at Apple Stores, or here: Apple ADC Connection Kit

Nice choice of monitors, I have a flat panel Apple Display that is realy cool looking. Kinda big for a flat-panel, though...

3. Brettla macrumors regular

From what has been said on this forum on many other threads, the ADC adapter that Mechcozmo mentioned won't work with the Apple CRT monitors because the adapter only carries a digital signal and won't work because the CRT needs an analog signal, you should research more and find out if there is any other way to hook up that CRT display, but from everything said here before it won't work, I had even looked into it for my Powerbook, or mabey just get one of the older VGA Apple CRT's. They may not look as nice as some of the more recent Apple monitors but it will actually work with it.

4. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

There are plenty of other CRT choices for your desk. I'm partial to my 21" IBM P260. Its Sony picture tube is perfectly flat and I have it at 1600x1200, 90Hz, from my 12" PowerBook (lid-closed). It's utilitarian but not ugly to my eyes. http://homepage.mac.com/tvwriter/.Pictures/ebay/iMac_2.jpg

I have the 17" Apple Studio Display CRT / ADC. It would probably look alright next to a Graphite toilet seat iBook, but next to the current aluminum PowerBooks it's like oil and water. And just like oil and water, no Apple laptop can mix with the CRT ADC monitor.

The aesthetic judgments are all a matter of opinion but the idea that the "PowerBook -> DVI to ADC adapter -> Studio Display CRT ADC" will not work is a matter of fact.

5. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Sorry then...I looked up all the adapters and the monitor, and I do not recall seeing something that said "Will not work with Apple Powerbooks"

My bad.

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Funny pull up one of the DVI to ADC adapters and it says....

Dr. Bott's DVIator, DVI to ADC adapter

DVIator (DEE-viator) allows the use of Apple's ADC flat panel displays on any computer with a compatible DVI video signal. DVIator combines a DVI video, USB and external power to drive Apple's ADC 15", 17" 20" 22" and 23" flat panel displays.

NOTE: DVIator is not compatible with the now discontinued 17" CRT (as pictured here) display.

---

Of course, since it's a powerbook... and you probably checked Apple's site.

"The Apple DVI to ADC Adapter offers much more than just a physical connection between a DVI port and a digital ADC monitor. It has been carefully designed to maintain the digital integrity of the video signal for the best possible viewing experience. The adapter provides an all-digital signal path between the computer and the display. It features active components that regenerate both the digital graphics and USB signals coming from the computer. This ensures delivery of the highest-quality images even at the extremely fast signal rates used by the Apple Cinema HD Display."

7. KevRC4130 thread starter macrumors 6502

I found an old CRT in my basement that worked. They're spanned, its super sweet. Some day it'll be an LCD.

*tries to get a picture*