Powerbook damage - right hinge trashed

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by ruairi, Jan 13, 2004.

1. ruairi macrumors newbie

Hi all,

this is my first post here. I am a a mac user for the last 4 years and I am on my 8th machine. Unfortunately during the holidays a friend dropped something on my 1ghz 15" Powerbook and completely cracked the right hinge from the display. my Apple dealer says the only option is to replace the entire screen at an enormous cost.:eek:

is this correct? Is there no other way or part available? I am stumped especially because i just popped for a new G5 Dual 1.8.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and apologies all round if the answers to my questions are obvious to all but me,

cheers,
    Ruairi O'Flaherty
    Ireland

2. ruairi thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyone?

I'm desperate for info - even links to start looking for secondhand parts or anything would be helpful. With the outlay for the G5 I just can't afford the new screen for the PB,

cheers,
    Ruairi

3. iGav macrumors G3

Get your friend to pay for it perhaps??? that's generally what someone should do if they cause damage, offer to put it right.

If not, isn't it insured?? or is there an outside possibility that your house and contents may just cover it??

4. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    post a pict- i would like to see what exactly was broken. i might be of some help then.

5. big macrumors 65816

big

there are other sites onthe net that offer screen replacemnt... I bet they cen fix it for you, I know they are cheaper than Apple..

I had a broken screen (lap top was fine though) and found a fe places....

ask this guy buckey@alpha1.net
    or lupe@macresq.com

6. ruairi thread starter macrumors newbie

cheers

Thanks all,

my friend does not know that the damage was done at all. My wife was in the room when the incident happened and she checked out the unit and didn't spot the damage - i only noticed the next day when I went to use the computer.

I will borrow a digital camera tomorrow and post a pic.

Thanks for the info, I'll follow up those leads,

cheers,
    Ruairi

7. rfenik macrumors regular

rfenik

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Didn't see which model, if it's the old Ti and the hinge mount....

http://www.wegenermedia.com/titp.htm

The screens on the 15/17s aren't really made to be opened up by the techs -- which is why they are repaired with screen replacements, while the 12s can be repaired a bit easier.

9. cubist macrumors 68020

Those prices are not bad considering the difficulty of the job. Good link, Sun Baked!

10. Macpoops macrumors 6502

11. ruairi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks all

Thanks everybody, I will investigate the above links thoroughly later tonight. Sorry for not posting back sooner with pics as promised- I am recording engineer and I work insane hours.

I really do appreciate the help,

cheers,
    Ruairi

12. Versello macrumors regular

Look around on ebay. You can buy an entire new chasis if you want.