Powerbook Damaged!!! :-(

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by billchase2, May 14, 2006.

1. billchase2 macrumors 68000

billchase2

Alright, I literally just got back from a nice trip to Las Vegas with one of my buddies. The trip was excellent until just before we headed back. We had to check out of our hotel (The Mirage) by noon but our flight wasn't until 10:30pm. So... we just took our luggage down and had them hold on to it for a few hours while we finished up hanging out on the strip. They asked if anything was fragile... and I told them my computer was in my nice Brenthaven backpack so they put a big orange "Fragile" sticker on it. I figured everything would be cool...

Well, I was wrong. When we got our luggage back, I popped it open quick to make sure it worked and no problem. Screen was fine. It wasn't until we were at the airport that I found out otherwise. I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't stay shut anymore. But then I realized, that the front, right, bottom corner of it was dented in and the right bottom side (by the DVD slot) was slightly bent up.

Ohhh... I was upset.

I definitely let out some choice words in the Las Vegas airport. This thing is my baby... I do all my video editing and everything on it. I just got it back in January! And I'm one of those people that is VERY careful with electronics so there wasn't even a scratch on the thing yet.

So... obviously I'm rather upset about this situation. Before I inform my father about it (who will rip The Mirage a new one...) I thought I'd get your opinions on what I can do about it. It's not my fault it was damaged... it's the hotel's. I even had a "Fragile" sticker on it and it was in an expensive Brenthaven case that was supposed to protect it. I do have the Applecare Protection plan for it. So, do we get ahold of the hotel and try to work it out with them? Do I go to Applecare and have them fix it? What do I do? And heck, how do you even go about fixing this sort of thing?? It won't stay closed... and I haven't even tried the DVD slot yet. I'm hoping that still works.

Please give me any advise you can... Thanks. :(

2. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

First of all, sorry for your loss.

Applecare won't help you on this one since this thing is between you and the hotel and has nothing to do with Apple. Call the hotel and see what you can do. Apart from that, you left your powerbook in some storage area in an hotel? You are lucky it was still there!:rolleyes:

3. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Since it was damaged by somebody in the Hospitality industry, you shouldn't have to yell that loud. Unlike all the horror stories of UPS damage, they may actually want to satisfy you.

4. California macrumors 68040

California

As any Vegas hotel has cameras everywhere, I would ask for the video of the storage area in the time frame in question, and I would fill out a police report because it is probably over five hundred dollars to fix.

5. T-Stex macrumors 6502

I'd call up the hotel personally, as they'll probably want to satisfy someone who was there, as opposed to having your father call. Just be respectful, and explain the situation to them, and if they give you a hard time, ask to see the video surveillance following your bag. If they refuse to help you out, let them know that you'll be filing a report with the police. I would imagine that they would try to help you out, and would rather keep a customer happy than save a few bucks.

6. billchase2 thread starter macrumors 68000

billchase2

Thanks for all the advise so far everyone. I REALLY appreciate it!

I actually just woke up (trying to get my sleep schedule back on track for work in the morning) and will be trying to work this out today. Any more tips would be appreciated and I'll post as update as soon as something happens on my end.

Thanks again!

7. billchase2 thread starter macrumors 68000

billchase2

I spoke with their security department and they filed a report and sent it over to the risk management department. They said that they'll be giving me a call back here in a bit about it.

To me, it sounded like they may be totally alright with taking care of it... I hope I'm right.

8. billchase2 thread starter macrumors 68000

billchase2

I just spoke with another gentleman after they called back. I gave him all the information about it (including the tag I got when they checked it which included the person's initials who handled it as well as a tracking number which was very helpful) and am supposed to call back risk management later on in the week. They will investigate the problem this week and will talk to the person who handled it to find out what happened. Hopefully he will fess up and they'll take care of it for me...

9. Demoman macrumors regular

There is so much competition for the Las Vegas tourist dollar, none of these top establishments wants bad publicity, especially if it can be turned into good publicity rather cheaply. Of course, there are low-lifes that try to take advantage of this and hose them on phony claims. So, I am sure they will need to convince themselves your claim is valid. What I have usually found successful, in the few (thankfully) situations is to work the problem professionally, but firmly. If you run into a dead end with the 'standard PR brush-off', find the head of the food chain and go straight there. Hopefully, it will not reach that point. Good luck!

10. billchase2 thread starter macrumors 68000

billchase2

i'm going to call them tonight and get an update.

however, a question for you guys. i know that in the online apple store you can no longer get the 17" powerbook since it has been replaced. so... i was wondering. if for whatever reason they'd decide to just buy me a new computer, do you think i'd get a macbook pro instead? when i was in the apple store in vegas, i noticed that they were actually still selling the 17" powerbook there which really confused me since i thought they stopped selling it.......

11. billchase2 thread starter macrumors 68000

billchase2

i talked to them again yesterday... and she gave me the whole "since there's no way of telling that we damaged it, i'm going to have to deny your damage report." i then asked her about security tapes and such... and apparently the guy in charge of those never got back to her so she said she'd check with him and get back to me today.

they BETTER do something about this...