Powerbook dented! Help!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Dave@UW, Jun 3, 2004.

1. Dave@UW macrumors newbie

Not too long after I got my powerbook back in October, I decided it'd be a good idea to take it on my bunk (in a dorm room) to test my wifi setup. Long story short, I quickly realized it was actually a terrible idea when I saw my laptop falling to the floor almost 6' below me, the floor just happened to be concrete with a thin layer of carpet. Luckily, the computer still works fine, just the case is a little bent on the back-left corner, so is the screen housing.

I searched on ebay for new casings, and found some for TiBooks, but none for the Aluminum models. Does anyone know if I can get a new case for it, or what I should do about the screen part (I'm assuming it's easy enough to change the housing around it because Apple put in a new screen without replacing the bent part, I had the white spot problem on my screen). I could *probably* just take everything apart and bent it back into shape, but I'm a little apprehensive about this. I could maybe also lie to Apple, come up with a good reason for it being bent, and get it fixed under warranty.

What do you guys (and girls) recommend??? I wanna get it fixed.

Pictures of the damage.

Attached Files:

2. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

3. kelvinz macrumors member

:eek: if I'm reading correctly it would cost $1049 to fix that.

Insane. I goto UW as well ;)

4. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

hate to be an arse but no lie would work. do you expect apple to believe that the PB casing just bent itself like in the pic? :confused: it will not be covered by the warranty - it's clearly not a defect, no matter how good the lie is.

if PB works, i'd just go on as usual...

5. Dave@UW thread starter macrumors newbie

There's no way I'm paying over $1,000 to get it fixed!

I talked to the genius at the Apple store, he believed my lie just fine, but there's that little deal that if you send it in, and they decide you broke it and it's not a defect or their fault, that they will charge you. I haven't yet decided if I should risk that, do you know if they tell you before charging you?

6. legion macrumors 6502a

Even if they don't charge you for the fix, they will charge you for the time they spent looking at it. Those rates aren't pretty and when you send it in, you've agreed to those terms--so they won't ask about charging you for that part of it.