Powerbook Dilemma

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by cookieme, Aug 28, 2005.

  1. cookieme macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2005
    #1
    Hi

    I have an old powerbook pismo g3 500MHz and I'm considering purchasing a new powerbook, but I'm plagued with whether to wait for new intels or see what will be unveiled at apple expo paris (which I'm attending anyway)!! The thing is that my powerbook is about 5 years old and although it runs panther great it just doesn't have the features and performance that I need. The current powerbooks are much better then mine, but still they lack in technology and performance. Another problem which is making my decision harder is that unfortunately there is one bit of windows software that I really need and there is no mac equivalent. I'm a mechanical engineering student and I use Solidworks CAD software a lot. Yes, I've tried using virtual pc to run it, but virtual pc just doesn't cut it! It's way too slow and the graphics suck. I don't know what to do. I've waited a long long time for a pb G5 to be announced but that is obviously not going to happen.

    As I see it Apple has put it's professional customers who require leading technology and performance in a mobile computer in a very awkward situation, i.e. buy the current powerbooks or whatever upgrade will be unveiled in paris or wait till sometime late 2006 or early 2007 to buy an intel pb which has gone through some revisions and testing??!

    BTW It's incredible that Apple has let it's non-professional computers surpass it's professional line when it comes to mobile computing, i.e. ibook and powerbook. I mean the ibook 14" is apparently newer and out performances the 12" pb which is more expensive anyway.
     
  2. alex_ant macrumors 68020

    alex_ant

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2002
    Location:
    All up in your bidness
    #2
    Well, you do eventually want an Intel PowerBook, because that will let you run Solidworks with no emulation, and VPC will be slow on ANY PowerPC. What I would do is buy a stopgap laptop, use it for a year or 18 months, and then sell it once the Intels come out - or once the rumors of imminent release start so that you can unload it before its value plummets. This will end up costing you a few hundred $$ in depreciation over the next 12-18 months, which would be your call on whether or not it would be worth it.

    If you really need to run Solidworks a lot, maybe you could get an iBook together with a cheap PC as your stopgap measure.
     
  3. dmw007 macrumors G4

    dmw007

    Joined:
    May 26, 2005
    Location:
    Working for MI-6
    #3
    Personally, I am waiting to purchase a intel PowerBook (nothing wrong with the current 'Books- I just want something with a Pentium M, PCI-Express, etc...).

    If your PowerBook G3 can last till June/July then wait to scoop up one of the intel 'Books. If not, then grab an updated PowerBook G4 this September.
     
  4. ph0rce macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2005
    #4
    I'll be upgrading my new iBook in november 2006 for my b day i think :D wahoooo P4 :D yey lol
     
  5. dmw007 macrumors G4

    dmw007

    Joined:
    May 26, 2005
    Location:
    Working for MI-6
    #5
    Not P4...Pentium M! :D
     
  6. ph0rce macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2005
    #6

    Lol, :p

    so will the servers have Zeons? :D
     
  7. ajampam macrumors regular

    ajampam

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2005
    #7
    I just hope that we dont miss velocity engine too much!!!!
     
  8. imjmn macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2005
    #8
    Buy a new iBook/PB now. The first round of IntelPB are sure to have some problems. Wait for the 2nd gen IntelPB to come out. That would make your new iBook/PB bought now about due for upgrading. MHO.
     

Share This Page