Powerbook Display Calibration

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by oldschool, Feb 21, 2004.

1. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

My eyes keep hurting when I use my powerbook, and I can't seem to find a good display calibration.

Could somebody send me theirs? my email address is...**edited**

You can get the display calibration file by going to your Library Folder, then ColorSync, then Profiles.

2. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

Yeah, Apple LCDs have notoriously lousy default settings and the calibrater in System Prefs isn't very good. I use SuperCal X and it works awesome. You'll be shocked at the difference before and after. Say goodbye to that nasty washed out display.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/12756

3. oldschool thread starter macrumors 65816

oldschool

Hey thanks...i used that program...its amazing.

4. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Oldschool, I'd delete that email address, unless of course you love SPAM.

5. oldschool thread starter macrumors 65816

oldschool

Thanks MoparShaha, good tip. I never thought of that.

6. Awimoway macrumors 65816

I'm no optiphile (or whatever the word would be), so I've never changed my color profiles until today. I'm very happy with the way my 20" cinema display looks, but recently I've noticed that my iBook's screen looks horribly washed out by comparison. Using the advanced settings I was able to get pretty satisfactory results. It was really amazing to me how much better my display could look. I had no idea.

What I can't figure out is if I was just oblivious to the poor color calibration on my iBook since I got it over a year ago or if got significantly worse when I upgraded to Panther recently.

7. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I think the best question is why does Apple sell their laptops with such horrible calibrations. When I first turned on my 12" PB, I was shocked at the screen quality. Everything was brownish and yellowed. It was pretty bad. After recalibrating it manually, it looks fantastic. I don't mind recalibrating, but I'd bet most people don't know how to do it, let alone that it's possible. It's bad advertising for Apple to have people walking around with poor looking displays on their laptops.

8. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I calibrated mine just fine (to my standards anyway, my eyes are fairly whacked) with Apple's calibrator, so no adjustment (other than brightness) is needed for me.

9. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I calibrated it probably the first thing when I got it. I have it set to a pretty high contrast so I have really deep colors and it looks wonderful. By default, it is so overly bright and washed out, for sure.

10. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

same here, as with my old TiBook, and both of my Studio Displays. however, today i was shocked to see a beautifully colored display on an old Lombard PowerBook. i'm a Mac consultant and i did a clean installation of Panther on her 'Book. i noticed how nice her display looked before wiping the drive, assuming she had calibrated it manually. i couldn't believe how nice it looked afterwards with just the default settings. she actually never even knew she could calibrate the display in the first place. anyone know the difference, physically/technically, between Apple's new LCDs and the old ones? and why they default to such a state of uggo?

*i'll say it again; everybody USE SUPERCAL X!