Powerbook display discussion (2)

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by xinxin, Jun 21, 2005.

1. xinxin macrumors member

Apr 13, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hi I don't know this will happen on other powerbook or just mine, or ibook..But give it a try step by step:

Under fresh install tiger without 10.4.1 update:
    1. unplug power supply and leave usb mouse plugged in.
    2. close lid and make sure laptop enter sleep mode.
    3. Double-click mouse several times. The laptop should be still in sleep mode.
    4. Plug the power cord in! Now the computer should wake up with the lid closed.
    5. Open the lid, see if you still got right display settings or just black screen can't see anything.

Under latest tiger with 10.4.1 installed:
    Do the exact same steps above, see the result.
    On my powerbook, instead of getting black screen, the screen look normal. But go to display settings to see brightness bar. The knob is moved to the lowest position but the real brightness is NOT the lowest. The real value and the knob position are not same now!

See if your powerbook are same as mine when doing this.
  2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location

Once you press the screen brightness button, it all goes back to normal. This issue is a non-issue. Its a quirk.....a harmless one.

Did you need to start 3 separate threads about your display?

It may not even be a problem. It may be that your LCD is warming up when you turn on your PB in the morning. It may be the lighting in your room that's making your LCD look yellow in the morning. And in the afternoon, the LCD is used under different lighting, or its a bit warmed up already. And if this is a real problem with your LCD, call Apple like everyone has already advised you to do. Get Apple to help. That's it.

Please don't start 3 threads, because chances are that it'll just annoy people and nobody will bother to help in ANY of the 3 threads you started, 2 of which were started at around the same time. ;)
  3. xinxin thread starter macrumors member

Apr 13, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    This thread is nothing to do with my display problem

This thread is talking about the bug in display(software not hardware). The "wake while lid closed" is initially a powerbook feature to enable people work on external LCD monitor with lid closed. However, this feature seems not perfect.

BTW, what you said is internesting. Can room light affect LCD's view? :) This is the first time I am using LCD to be honest. I always prefer CRT before.