Powerbook display question

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by rotlex, May 20, 2003.

1. rotlex macrumors 6502a

May 1, 2003
    Ok, this is probably a dumb one, but I'm getting some mixed signals while reading and you guys have been a great help before.

1. Can the 17" powerbook be connected to an external CRT monitor, and does it come with the necessary port to do so? (Probably the dumbest of the two questions) :)

2. If connected to an external monitor, can the display be seen on both the 17" built in screen AND the external monitor at the same time?

I'm wondering this as it will help further my decision to move to a new laptop rather than a desktop. Bear with me, I'm a PC/Windows user for a VERY long time and am just trying to more familiarize myself with what I can and can't do with a Powerbook.

Thankies a million!
  2. ftaok macrumors 601

Jan 23, 2002
    East Coast

The 17" PB comes standard with a DVI port and a VGA adapter. With this, you could hook up just about any CRT or LCD screen you'd want. You'd probably want to use video spanning (I think it's called extended desktop in the Windows world). I'm not sure what resolution the PB could drive the 2nd screen at, but I'm sure it's pretty good.

You'd probably be able to mirror your screens as well.
  3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

Jul 24, 2002
    1) Yes - it has a DVI port and if it does not come with the required DVi->15 Pin D-Sub connector you can get one real cheap.
    2) If you want. It can run in either span or mirror mode - you sound like you want mirror mode. You just turn in on in the Dsiplays control panel when you connect the second display.
  4. rotlex thread starter macrumors 6502a

May 1, 2003
    Wow, thanks for the quick responses folks. I feel like a nitwit now as I actually stumbled across the PDF on the 17" that says what I was looking for. Not quite as good an explanation as has been written out here though, so thanks! :)

This could be the cincher for me, as, as dumb as it sounds, I wanted to make sure I could view the Photoshop and MiniDV work I would be doing on both screens at the same time. Reason, my wife and I usually do it together, and I can't picture her having to stare over my shoulder, or at an angle, at the laptop display. Now she can sit there and watch her own monitor. :D

Thanks again. As I said, these boards have answered many of my switcher questions to date, and it is GREATLY appreciated.