Powerbook Display?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by kent_ridge, May 26, 2005.

1. kent_ridge
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

Hi,
    Is there any option to make my powerbook not sleep each time I close the lid??

Thanks.

2. mwpeters8182
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

There are hacks (do a search for "clamshell mode"), but the only way to do this without changing anything is to connect an external monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

MP

3. zach
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

zach

I'm sure there are hacks for this, but it baffles me why you'd want to.. care to enlighten me?

4. kent_ridge
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot.

It'll be good if I can keep my pb running when I move around and still need to use the internet. Now I need to leave the lid open a little else I'll be d/c.

5. aricher
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68020

aricher

I've been wondering about the same thing - I want to use my PB's hard drive while the lid is closed - I've been envisioning a stop motion movie (using iStopMotion) but having the PB open while video recording in motion is a bit tricky.

6. mms
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

It tends to be a bad idea to do this, especially when you move around with it. The hard drive will still be spinning, so if you bump/drop/harm it when you move it, then there's always the risk of disk damage. Furthermore, the laptop is designed so that some heat is released from the keyboard; closed-lid operation inhibits dissipation of that heat.

7. mms
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a