1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Powerbook Docking Station

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Stan, Apr 30, 2004.

1. macrumors member

Has anyone out there had any experience using the Bookendz docking station for the Powerbook? I have the 1Gz version, and am considering the dock as my next purchase. How is the connection - rough/smooth? Reliability? Any useful tips? I think the Bookendz seems to be the only one out there.

Any info would be welcome - thanks.

2. macrumors newbie

i am using the bookendz with a pb1.25. it's well built and connecting is easy. you have to take care, that all the connectors are in place, though.

3. 7on
    macrumors 601

7on

I have one for my Titanium. It's pretty good, though I have to reinsert it only after waking it up (the dock will wake up my PB and not detect the builtin LCD). That and once I got a kernel panic from my iSight because I didn't seat my pb correctly. Overall it's been quite good though. The first 4 hours or so will just be snapping it in and popping it out. Eventually it'll get smoother.

http://www2.truman.edu/~jps137/web/workspace.jpg

4. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

you have a link to their site? I'd love to see what the thing looks like.

Thanks,

D

5. macrumors 65816

tomf87

6. macrumors member

I've always wondered... if you have a docking station does it allow you to operate the computer using an external display and keyboard while the laptop is closed?

7. Moderator

robbieduncan

Staff Member

Only if the computer allows that normally. So yes for PowerBooks and no for iBooks.

8. macrumors 6502

davecuse

Anyone have any ideas for 17" Al PB? I can only find for a 15" from BookEndz

9. macrumors 68020

It looks like this company is/was going to make one, but they don't have it available yet.

http://www.technowarehousellc.com/bookforapjan.html

10. macrumors member

May I ask how you know that the PowerBook can operate while closed, but the iBook won't? I don't remember reading anything about that when I purchased my powerbook 1Ghz.

Thanks!

11. macrumors 65816

tomf87

It's in the Apple Doc's @ www.info.apple.com. Essentially hook up an external keyboard and/or mouse, then close the lid, then wake it up with the keyboard/mouse.

Personally, I'd leave mine open to allow it to breathe.

12. macrumors G3

Counterfit

Whoah, when did they come out with this? I've been wondering if anyone would make one.

13. macrumors 604

iShater

It would be nice if Apple made some of their current notbooks dockable to an Apple docking station. However, I guess that might make the systems bigger to add the port/mechanism? otherwise, why haven't they done so? :confused: