1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

PowerBook Duo 230 dead?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by belair, Jul 5, 2004.

1. macrumors 6502

belair

Hi, I just wanted to ask if my dads old PowerBook Duo 230 is still alive or not? I found it at his house and the only thing left of it is the docking station with the powercord and the laptop itself. I tried to plug it in an turn it on when the laptop is in the dock. I can hear the apple Gong but when I take the portable out and i want to boot it on its one nothing happens.

The machine itself looks in great shape from the exteriour but I dont know if all the parts inside are still OK. What are the few things I could do to check if the motherboard, HD, battery, is still functionning.

I would love to get this machine running and install Photoshop 2 an play about a little. Fingers crossed. :p

2. 7on
    macrumors 601

7on

well, if it won't run when unplugged then the battery doesn't work.

3. macrumors 6502

belair

Seems very obvious now you said it. :eek: Thanks.
    So if I had a powercord I could plug it and work.
    I checked at the back of the machine and there is a plug for power support with the same logo than than on the powerbook 1 ghz just next to it.

The plug itself is bigger tough. Could I find such a cable on ebay or on an oldmac support site?

4. macrumors 68020

You can probably get a power adaptor on eBay. But the battery may just be dead and need to charge, and it can charge in the dock, right? How about this: Plug in the dock and leave the computer in it for a day or so, then see if you can take it out and have it work.

5. macrumors 6502

belair

As I write this the laptop is in the dock and it purs away. I will tell you in 24 hours if I can boot it on its own. Thanks for the advice. :)

6. macrumors 6502

belair

No life

Nope I let the powerbook charge for a day an I tried to start it up but it does not make a sound.

I'll try to fetch a powercord on ebay, I hope its only the battery. :eek: