Powerbook DVD-R ?

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by homeward, May 8, 2002.

1. homeward macrumors member

Does anyone know if there are any plans for a DVD-R in a Powerbook? I'm saving up for one.

2. gopher macrumors 65816

Rumor has it that it would be too expensive to build, and the notebook not stable enough to burn a whole DVD without making a coaster.

3. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I actually think the biggest problem is the size of the drive. There are not any that are small enough to fit into the current design. We will see it one day, but at least not until 2003.

4. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Thickness

The TiBook would have to gain a few inches to hold the drive, so I don't think Apple will put it in until they put the drive on a diet. Still it would be really cool!

5. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

Superdrives will come to the Powerbook, I have not doubt. The OEM needs to do some work slimming it down. My prediction is MWSF, where the low end will be 1 gig and the high end will be 1.4, 60 gigs will be the smallest HD, and you will be able to have 2 gigs of ram.

I guess it is a bit early to make predictions this far in advance ;-)

6. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

I would say that it's going to be a loooong while. Remember when CD's first came out? They had a CD caddy player that ran at 1 or 2x and that was considered fast.

Today it's the same thing— DVD-R just got started. Max burn speed right now is 1-2x. It's still a fledgeling technology and rather expensive just to make 1-2x 5.25" drives. I'd give it in the order of a year or two before you see anything portable and it will still be slow.

Waiting for a 1-2x burn on a laptop would be bad. If you didn't have close to full battery power, than there's no insurance you'll have enough to finish the burn. The potential for read errors is enormous too.

7. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Re: Thickness

that's what I've heard in the past...the superdrive would need to be thicker than the Ti currently is in order to fit....

but I'm sure it'll be a matter of time before we see them decrease in size...

look at it this way....at least Motorola doesn't manufacture Apple's peripherals...he he he ;)

8. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i thought Toshiba or someone was demoing a superdrive for the TiBook at MY Tokyo?