Powerbook Edu Pricing...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Erendiox, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Oct 15, 2004
    Brooklyn NY
    I noticed something strange on the apple site when playing with the bto options on the 15 and 17 inch powerbooks with my edu discount...

The 15 inch superdrive model with 80gig HD and 128vram: $2189

The 17 inch model with 80 gig HD and 128 vram: $2309

Since when has the gap between the 15 and 17 inch models been so little? thats $120 for the 17 inch screen, digital out, and dual DVI. A $200 gap for regular pricing. Seems like a bargain to me! I mean, who would spend $2000+ for the 15 inch model when the bigger, bada** 17 inch is such a small amount more money in comparison. I know theres personal preference involved when choosing a size, but for me, the choice is simple. Bigger is better! All this time i've been considering a 15 inch, I think I just might spend a bit more on the 17.

Waiting till after WWDC of course... :D
  2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    I remember about six months ago (previous rev) when 15" BTO upgrades were relatively cheap for some reason, that the difference was more like $75. I think it was a VRAM upgrade (but don't quote me on that) that was +$45 for awhile, but then bumped it up to +$90 (same as non-edu pricing) that gave it a $120 difference, same as it is now.

I still bought a 15"...portability is an issue for me, and instead of spending the extra $120 for the 17" PB screen, I can spend $400 to pick up a 20" Dell LCD to go dual (when I see the need).