PowerBook Ethernet Problem

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by 173080, Jun 25, 2004.

1. 173080 macrumors 6502

I have been having a problem with my PowerBook's Ethernet port lately.

Sometimes for no apparent reason it will stop working (not while it's working, but when I plug an Ethernet cable in). Sometimes it will not detect the Ethernet Cable and the Router on the other side, while sometimes it does. It has happened 4 times now and it happens at random. When I've had that problem I've tried to get it to work with 4 different cables, different routers, shutting down, restarting, and putting my PowerBook to sleep and still nothing. Suddenly (usually the next day), the port is functional again. :confused:

Any ideas?

EDIT: My PowerBook is a 1.5Ghz, 15" PowerBook with SuperDrive.

2. ephramz macrumors member

Maybe it's the port

I've had a similar problem with my Pismo Powerbook, where ethernet only worked once in a while. It turned out, by looking at the connected lights on the router that it was just the ethernet port on the PB. If I wiggled the plug up and down it would show a connection. I figured out that the easiest solutionw as just to jam a thicker than average pen between the bottom of the ethernet plug and the open port door flap to push the plug up and somehow into a better contact with the contacts inside. It works flawlessly when I do this. Give it a try!